Transporting a Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I need to bring my mast home for some repair work. I don't want to bring the whole boat home, any suggestions for bring the just the mast. I have a long bed super cab F150 with a topper.

T

Tom26M

Been my experience to tote the mast home aboard the same trailer that you haul your boat around on. Be careful though.Advantage over length is gained by rigging the mast at an upward angle toward the hitch/ladder end.

Above all observe towing safety conventions. Tie a red rag on the rearward end.

Tom

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
I guess it would depend on how long your truck is... figure the mast is 28' long for that vessel. If it doesn't hang over too much in the front or rear (be sure to check vehicle regs regarding this) I guess you could fasten it to the top of the truck, and use a mast support in the bed to help secure it.
Usually, I've trailered the entire boat - a hassle to be sure, but at least you know it should get there safely...maybe plan some other projects at the same time for the vessel so the trip isn't a total waste.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
imho, I would drag the boat on the trailer, and not try to jury rig a support, unless you have a very long trailer to hold the mast.

the mast is just too long to carry over the truck. legally. and you'll probably break something.

Trying to save an hour or two will seem foolish if you break the mast.

-(my .02)

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I had to buy a new (used) mast when I was dismasted at the mooring by a drunken power boater in the middle of the night. I used the boat trailer to get the new mast home. I bolted a 2X4 cross member across the bunks at the back with a couple of short uprights spaced 3" apart near the center to hold the mast in place. Worked fine.

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I've came to the same conclusion!

I was hoping for a better plan, but I had a feeling this was where I was headed.
I sure as heck don't want to damage the mast.

imho, I would drag the boat on the trailer, and not try to jury rig a support, unless you have a very long trailer to hold the mast.

the mast is just too long to carry over the truck. legally. and you'll probably break something.

Trying to save an hour or two will seem foolish if you break the mast.

-(my .02)

May 24, 2004
- - Oconomowoc, WI
I had a customer come up to my shop in Wisconsin, last week, from Texas, 1,004 miles, to get a new mast for a 26M which is 30' long, and heavier.
He had a 2000 Ford F150, with the small seat(s) behind the drivers seat, no topper. He had made 3 crutches, out of 2x's, one in the back of the bed, one in the front of the bed, and one attached to his brush-guard in the front.
- Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.