Transmission trouble

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've got a Kanzaki-Carl Hurth tranny model KBW10E on my Yanmar 3HM35F with what appears to be worn clutch discs. Reverse is fine, but very little shaft rotation in forward gear.

A search for the clutch friction discs (part # 177090-03080, 8 needed) shows they're made of almost pure unobtainium, the steel discs (6) not so much. Yanmar discontinued the model in 2016, but there should be parts out there!

Is there a tractor company out there which uses the same transmission or clutch ass'y such as John Deere?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ya won't find an equivalent tractor part.. they use a foot operated dry clutch like a car.. but ya may be able to find a brake or clutch shop that might be willing to replace the friction pads on the metal plates.. a long shot, and may be more available in Mexico ..It used to be common to re-line brake shoes and clutch friction plates.. The truth is that it may still be cheaper to buy the Yanmar parts if you can get them.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Mack-Boring was running a Yanmar related transmission shop a few years ago. Not sure the status but here is a link:
http://mackboring.com/powertrain/marine-transmission-center/transmissions/

Not sure who these guys are, but they say they work on Kanzaki, and Hurth:
http://www.eastcoastmarinetransmission.com/

When I did this work I spec’d out a rebuild transmission for immediate delivery. May be an option.
Yah, East Coast referred me to Mack Boring. Mack Boring only sells to resellers, not individuals.
What's up with that? :banghead:

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
After disassemble Google transmission friction disk and compare. A specialty transmission supply in your area should sell matching disk. There all based on same style. Take steely and friction plate to supplier and they should be able match spline count

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yah, East Coast referred me to Mack Boring. Mack Boring only sells to resellers, not individuals.
What's up with that? :banghead:
Mack Boring is the Yanmar importer. Their small parts sales are region protected. But their transmission shop (which was in NC I believe) worked with owners. Maybe that has changed.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Might be another longshot.. Many Japanese motorcycles used wet clutches and had very similar friction plates.. Ya might be able to find a match at a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki shop with knowledgeable parts guys and some patience.. but you'd have to have one of the plates in hand to get a match.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Mack Boring is the Yanmar importer. Their small parts sales are region protected. But their transmission shop (which was in NC I believe) worked with owners. Maybe that has changed.
I brought my transmission into them around 8 years ago and they rebuilt it. Great guys, reviewed what they did and overall condition, etc.

Mar 18, 2019
Irwin 32 Corpus Chiristi, TX
Have you looked at the linkage? That's what caused the same problem on mine.

Feb 20, 2011
It was the clutch friction discs in forward gear.

With quite a bit of swearing, blood and frustration, we disconnected the prop shaft from the output flange, shoved back the prop shaft and went to work removing the tranny.
20190411_103214.jpg
We worked on my saloon table for a couple of days while I waited for parts (expensive parts) to arrive in Mexico from San Diego.

Put it all back together yesterday and today took it out for a test drive. She made over 6 knots.

Could never have done this without help from dockmates, especially Joe on Slainte, Virgil on Halcyon Days and Jimmie on Sun Hunter.

Last edited: