trans-atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ted

to- anyone with experience of the cross-atlantic to south coast of england from east coast - n.j,. area - making plans for coming spring/summer - want to draw on as much experience as possible. longest voyage so far 1 week down east coast. myself and 1 crew in 32' hunter. simple g.p.s., etc. ted

J

Jay Hill

"Just the two of us..."

Just two? Going to be a long trip. Be prepared for long watches and very little sleep. The list required for ocean passage is too long to be listed here, so I hope you have a good one somewhere.

J

Jonathan

Go West

Read "Go West" http://www.ganssle.com/jack You may also reach jack via E-mail through his home page. -Jonathan-

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Beer Barrels

Just read about a Japanese fellow who sailed from South Americal to Japan on a vessel made from beer barrels! Same person who in the 60s? sailed from Japan to the US on a home-made 20? footer (nice boat). People have "sailed" across the Atlantic on surfboards and small open boats. Having said the above, I agree with the previous post by 'John' that in essence says that it's not a good idea - especially since the original article didn't say what changes he's made to his vessel. I'd be concerned about hatches made with 1/4-inch plexiglass and companion way hatch that doesn't have a locking provision so if the boat is knocked over the sea doesn't come in. The above is just the beginning of what my concerns would be. I've always signed my name as John but I'm a different person than the previous post.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Not the right boat

I'm not one to pooh-pooh one's dreams but a Hunter 32 was not built to cross oceans. They were designed to be coastal cruiser, which they're great at, but to cross oceans in one would be begging for trouble. Now someone may yell at me that several have done it, and I'm sure they have but each case might be very unique. Perhaps they had the luck of the Irish & saw no bad weather but is that something to count on? Maybe they practically rebuilt the boat to make her sturdy enough to make the crossing - how could we know that? There was a Catalina 27 that did a circumnavigation awhile back but they modified the boat so much that it could hardly be classified as a Catalina any more! They probably spent more money upgrading the boat than it would have cost to buy a bluewater boat. I love my C27 but to think of sailing around the world in it (much less crossing the pond) scares the crap out of me! So it boils down to this: It's not that it CAN'T be done but SHOULD it? Good luck in your decision - you might want to talk to lots of folks who've actually made the crossing, & pick their brains. LaDonna

E

Eugene

Catalina 27 Circumnavigation

The major expense that I saw in that 27 Catalina that circumnavigated was the standing rigging and he did it himself so there was no labor cost. He just knew his boat and it's weaknesses. Some of the changes that he made was adding mini-bulkheads for added hull strength, move the chainplates and attached it to the hull, installed a winvane to help him steer, etc, etc, etc. He did not have the money but he knew his stuff. Last I heard he is now a USCG licensed Captain.

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
What is the world coming to, Eugene....

When they let people get their USCG captain's license with only a single circumnavigation under their belt!! How does the Coast Guard know whether this guy can really sail or not? Flying Dutchman (sorry, couldn't resist the temptation :))

T

ted

life's a challenge

really going on with the idea. thanks to all who have contributed so far - invaluable in parts - any more help will be greatly appreciated. is there anyone else who is thinking of doing the same thing who could benefit/contribute to this? good challenge in my mind. ted

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Buy a good liferaft & an EPIRB

I'm not trying to be a downer but this boat was not made to cross oceans. It's just plain not strong enough to take the beating ocean storms can give. But if you're insisting on doing this, I'd call Hunter & find out what modifications they recommend, like tabbing the bulkheads, upgrading the rigging, etc. I'd also call the Coast Guard to get their ideas of what an ocean worthy vessel should consist. Then I'd go buy a really good liferaft & an EPIRB! Good luck! LaDonna

E

Eugene

Good Luck

Don't let anybody discourage you man, some people will make up stories just to discourage you or they don't know what they're talking/writing about (like that one about spending a lot of money to upgrade the catalina 27). A singlehander author once wrote that people will cross that ocean when they feel like it with whatever boat they have. Of course, part of crossing that ocean is being prepared for all kinds of situations, meaning having all kinds of safety equipments (who doesn't?) and knowing how to use them. Beef-up that boat, look for a good weather window and good luck.

E

Eugene

Good Luck

Don't let anybody discourage you man, some people will make up stories just to discourage you or they don't know what they're talking/writing about (like that one about spending a lot of money to upgrade the catalina 27). A singlehander author once wrote that people will cross that ocean when they feel like it with whatever boat they have. Of course, part of crossing that ocean is being prepared for all kinds of situations, meaning having all kinds of safety equipments (who doesn't?) and knowing how to use them. Beef-up that boat, look for a good weather window and good luck.

R

Ron

Go for it..

People have been crossing oceans for hundreds of years... and people have been saying they're crazy. Do your homework, learn what it takes to heave-to in your boat and have fun in merry ol' England. In Lin and Larry Pardey's video, "Crossing the Coral Sea," she talks about the "Reality" of cruising boats. In one spot they anchored, in the pacific, of all the boats around them not one was of the John Alden type reef cruncher. They were all just plain old boats. It's usually the sailor who gives out and not the boat... See ya on the other side..Ron

R

Ron

Go for it..

People have been crossing oceans for hundreds of years... and people have been saying they're crazy. Do your homework, learn what it takes to heave-to in your boat and have fun in merry ol' England. In Lin and Larry Pardey's video, "Crossing the Coral Sea," she talks about the "Reality" of cruising boats. In one spot they anchored, in the pacific, of all the boats around them not one was of the John Alden type reef cruncher. They were all just plain old boats. It's usually the sailor who gives out and not the boat... See ya on the other side..Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.