trailer trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
I am buying a 2003 26m in the US with the intent of importing it into BC, Canada.
The seller has made modifications on his original MacGregor trailer by adding an axle (2 additional tires...), replacing the tires with heavy duty trailer tires. He has also rust-treated and repainted the trailer, making it like new and far superior to the original trailer.
Unfortunately I cannot legally import his trailer into Canada, since according to regulations, no modifications may be made on the original trailer - only maintenance.
So I would like to make a trade with someone with an original 26m trailer who would like to upgrade to a significantly better, pristine trailer, at no additional cost.
I will be picking up the boat in Las Vegas and driving it up to BC. So ideally I would like to trade trailers with someone in Washington, Oregon, or even Northern California.
It would really help me out and you would benefit from a far better trailer, which has a valid title and could easily be transferred. I can provide several good photos if you're interested.
Your trailer would have to be in good shape, ready for the road.
Thanks, Mike

samba

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26s Salmon Arm
are you really sure

I am buying a 2003 26m in the US with the intent of importing it into BC, Canada.
The seller has made modifications on his original MacGregor trailer by adding an axle (2 additional tires...), replacing the tires with heavy duty trailer tires. He has also rust-treated and repainted the trailer, making it like new and far superior to the original trailer.
Unfortunately I cannot legally import his trailer into Canada, since according to regulations, no modifications may be made on the original trailer - only maintenance.
So I would like to make a trade with someone with an original 26m trailer who would like to upgrade to a significantly better, pristine trailer, at no additional cost.
I will be picking up the boat in Las Vegas and driving it up to BC. So ideally I would like to trade trailers with someone in Washington, Oregon, or even Northern California.
It would really help me out and you would benefit from a far better trailer, which has a valid title and could easily be transferred. I can provide several good photos if you're interested.
Thanks, Mike
Hey Mike, I bought my mac in Seattle and brought to the shuswap 3 years ago. I needed separate receipts for boat and trailer, most taxes paid at the border. Then RIV Canada [I think thats the name] sent a letter telling me to take the trailer to Canadian Tire for the inspection. The inspection lasted about 52 seconds , looked for actual trailer tires and appropriate lights. My trailer had had the brakes removed , didn't matter.
So, if it were me in your shoes I'd keep the improved trailer.
Peter

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
Hey Mike, I bought my mac in Seattle and brought to the shuswap 3 years ago. I needed separate receipts for boat and trailer, most taxes paid at the border. Then RIV Canada [I think thats the name] sent a letter telling me to take the trailer to Canadian Tire for the inspection. The inspection lasted about 52 seconds , looked for actual trailer tires and appropriate lights. My trailer had had the brakes removed , didn't matter.
So, if it were me in your shoes I'd keep the improved trailer.
Peter
Thanks, Peter, for your optimistic reply.
My primary concern is that on the title is says "2 W" (i.e. 2 wheels), and it would take a blind mechanic not to see that it actually has 4 wheels...
Mike

samba

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26s Salmon Arm
I see what you mean, well it is Canadian Tire doing the inspection ....
Have you talked directly to someone at RIV Canada?
When I took the trailer to Crappy Tire the form I had from RIV had nothing about number of tires , I could send a copy of the form. Somewhere in I process of being processed the US ownership form was taken from me , I think that was at the border.
You need a recall letter from Macgregor stating that the trailer hasn't been recalled.

Peter

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
I spoke to someone at RIV, and she said any modifications on trailer would make it not eligible for import.
The number of tires is on the title, which I'm pretty sure somebody is going to look at - certainly at the border they look at the trailer to check the VIN # - maybe they would leave the rest of the inspection to Canadian Tire. I'm tempted to go over to one of the branches of CT in Victoria and see if I can buy someone off...
Mike

Nik

Mar 15, 2008
MacGregor 26D Valparaiso, Indiana
I don't know if this helps or not (Cali-for-nia, may be different). My Indiana registration only states the GVWR as 3000 lbs, nothing about the number of axels or the axel rating. I would suggest having the Owner send you a copy of the US registration to see how it is worded. All that is on mine is the manufacturer, date of manufacture, the weight rating, VIN # and color (black). If there isn't an axel statement? what is the difference between a trailer with 2 x 1500# v/s 4 x 750#? and if the builder decided on 4 X 1500#, OH Well , you have a heavy duty trailor from the MFG or Owner. Just my .02 and another twist to your queries.

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
Thanks, Sarah, for your encouragement.
I'm pretty sure that the inspection process requires the title and not only the registration. On the title it specifically is written "2W", so that's why I'm concerned and hesitant to challenge the authorities. they usually go according to the letter of the law. Bureaucrats...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sell the trailer to someone in a state where the title doesn't state the axles. Send them the title and let them get a title and sell it back to you. My Utah registration doesn't have axles or weight as for as I can see. The title is in a safety box at the bank, so don't know what it says, but I could look Monday.

You are going to have to go through almost the same deal if you swap trailers with someone.

Good luck and I know someone (he might speak up) that is adding a second axle to his trailer and he lives up there,

Sum

Oct 19, 2009
MacGregor 1995 26S Fort Walton Beach, FL
Can you not just take the extra axle off until you cross the border? Tell them it's your spare.

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
Thanks, Sum,
The Nevada registration where I'm buying the boat and trailer doesn't list axles - the problem is with the title.
If you are really willing to check your Utah title to see if it has axles or wheels, I'd appreciate it.
Once I import a trailer to BC I can make any modifications I want - it's only the import regulation which is the problem.
thanks, Mike

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
Hey, Broke...
the problem is that when he added an axle, he removed the original axle and changed its position on the chassis so that it would be balanced correctly, so I can't just cut one off without major structural changes and probably big bucks...
thanks anyway,
Mike

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I'll check tomorrow (Monday). I sent you a PM with some details,

Sum

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
FWIW, Florida does not title trailers. All you need is a bill of sale, and a certified scale weight, and you can register it.

can you get 2 bills of sale?

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
I have a pretty good Venture trailer. I has two wheels, and I am in Northern California . If there is a chance, and all you want it a trade, we can splash in Petaluma River, North of San Francisco, and if it works, I am willing to trade. We can do a "Fake Bill of Sale" and you'll be on your way. By the way, mine is for a 25 foot, but it is long. It should hold a 26, as the newer trailers are shorter than mine is. The only probem I see is that the hull shape may differ too much. Let me know.

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
Thanks, Gregg, for the offer of the Venture trailer.
I'm waiting now for the seller's new title to come through, and once it does I'm going to try and squeeze it through the Canadian import process. If it doesn't work, I'll contact you and we can maybe do a deal.
Mike

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
I might have an idea...

Thanks, Mike
First off, Congrats on your new to you boat, it is the same model year as mine, a 2003 26M mine is hull #72.
Second, we have a Mac club here, MYCBC.CA, check us out, we have lots of fun, with a couple members in the Victoria area and on Saltspring Island. You are welcome to join.
Now third, my idea. There is a time line involved, my boat is on the trailer while I work on it and I hope to have it back in the water before the May long weekend. Could I tow my empty trailer across to Blaine after selling it to you in Canada (I live in Delta) then tow yours across as just a utility trailer I bought in the USA (No boat with Tiltle) and pay the taxes on it? I'd love to get a nice trailer out of the deal. Mine just needs a bit of work, I am replacing the bunks with new treated timbers because the originals are rotting, not a big deal, I already have the wood, I just need to get the boat off to do the replacements. I live right near Hwy #10 & Hwy #17, you have to drive past my house both going to USA from Sannich and comming home as you will be using the ferries. The idea might work, since I am not buying a boat & trailer just a utility boat trailer and you will have your boat on a two wheel trailer. Just the registration numbers on the trailers may be different. Something to think about.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Just a follow-up. My Utah title has..

Vehicle Type: TRAILER

Year: 1990

Make: BOAT

Model: (blank)

Bdy Sty: BOAT

VIN/HIN: (the stamped on number)

That is it, no weight and nothing about axles,

Sum

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Change the title
Good point! Maybe the guy in Nevada can go in and say the title has a mistake in it and the trailer has 2 axles and see if they will issue a new title. Here in a small town that kind of thing is usually pretty easy to do.

c ya,

Sum

Apr 16, 2010
macgregor 26m saanich
To Sum and Oreana,
Thanks,
the guy in Nevada has already gone in to apply for a change in the title, to change it to 2 axles/4 wheels.
It's just a question as to whether the new title states that modifications have been made to the original 1 axle trailer. If so, I still may have a problem.
I'll find out when he receives the new title.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.