Trailer for Seafarer 22

JanS48

Oct 3, 2014
Still Looking 27 Newport RI
Greetings all, newbie here.
Anyone else have a Seafarer 22?
I need some help with getting a trailer ready to accept my Seafarer 22. The trailer was formerly used for a Hunter 25.
It looks like it will be ok as the stands (3 each side) are somewhat adjustable.
Would anyone fathom a guess as to how much higher the Seafarer 22 will be than the Hunter 25? I know this is a tough one.
Also anyone know the distance from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the keel?
(the boat was given to me recently while still in the water - so I don't have all the specs I need)
Any help is most appreciated.
Thanks in advance
- Jan

Mar 14, 2015
Seafarer 22 NNYC Lake Winnebago
did you ever get answers on your trailer question? I have a Seafarer 22. i bought it with its original cradle.

DEK

Aug 15, 2015
Seafarer 22 severna park
Hi all, I am a seafarer 22 sailboat owner, have restored it with my dad. Have a question: any tips on whether building a lazarette and motor well for my outboard would be a good idea? Would add about 3.5 feet to the vessel. Would it hurt performance of sailing? The lazarette would be out of the water line. Thanks DEK

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
Hi all, I am a seafarer 22 sailboat owner, have restored it with my dad. Have a question: any tips on whether building a lazarette and motor well for my outboard would be a good idea? Would add about 3.5 feet to the vessel. Would it hurt performance of sailing? The lazarette would be out of the water line. Thanks DEK
DEK,
I owned a Seafarer 29 for over 15 years and it was powered by a 20hp 4-stroke Yamaha completely enclosed in a lazarette hatch. The motor would tilt up completely out of the water and enclosed by the lazarette. Click here for pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/111041...authkey=Gv1sRgCPmWndjjroeNrgE&feat=directlink

There are also tons on pictures and articles on my blog but you have to keep going back to articles prior to 2014.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/hugh17/

While this was an excellent setup for this professionally designed and built boat, I'm doubtful that you could achieve the same by just adding 3' or so on to the back of another boat. Anything is possible so I could certainly be wrong. Assuming you could achieve the design and accomplish an adequate fiberglass job there is still the issue with the boat's sailing or handling which will most likely be affected by changing the center of balance, etc. For example, the centerboard/keel and mast are positioned at a specific point to achieve balance. You may get lucky and not have a problem, but I'd be surprised if the sailing characteristics aren't affected somehow. You will also need to lengthen your back stay or add a spliter and extend it to two new chainplates on the new stern. In closing, anything can be accomplished, but the question is will the end result be worth the effort and expense? In my opinion, no. But that's just an opinion. Either way, good luck and if you decide to do this I'd love to see photos.

Also, consider joining the Seafarer Yacht group on Facebook. We have the largest group of Seafarer owners known to exist.

James

DEK

Aug 15, 2015
Seafarer 22 severna park
Can any one tell me how to get the hull # for my seafarer 22 1976? Thanks.