Trailer clearance on keel V.

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
I have a Mac 25 on the standard trailer. It has little clearance at the V Cross member. My drive is not sloped much but it drug for about 3feet when I brought it in. I am thinking about raising the frame two inches by putting 2x2 steel box member between the axel and the springs with longer U bolts. Has anyone addressed this problem?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I have a Mac 25 on the standard trailer. It has little clearance at the V Cross member. My drive is not sloped much but it drug for about 3feet when I brought it in. I am thinking about raising the frame two inches by putting 2x2 steel box member between the axel and the springs with longer U bolts. Has anyone addressed this problem?
Not really what your asking but have you considered a dropped hitch to get in and out of your driveway where it drags?

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
I have but that would be quite a hassle. It also would not solve the problem of dragging in other situations while traveling, gas stations etc.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
when I straightened and rebuilt my Mac 25 axle I put an 1 1/2 spacer in to give more clearance between axle and keel (mostly due to spring sag) with no problem. mine rarely drags anyway, but it is low at the v. a skid plate might be a consideration also ;)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I have but that would be quite a hassle. It also would not solve the problem of dragging in other situations while traveling, gas stations etc.
My apologies. I didn’t read your post carefully enough and was assuming back of boat dragged not the actual low point of the trailer. Seems like a strange design (small amount of clearance) for the original trailer??

The only alternative I can think of would be to mount larger diameter tires and therefore increase clearance. Fender clearance might be an issue though.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
While checking the springs, note if the axle is mounted on top of or below the springs. You may be able to gain a enough by moving it to the bottom if it is mounted on top. We cleared a keel to frame on a boat years ago moving the axle below the springs. Conversely , we moved one from the bottom to the top on another to float it off a little easier.

Please let us know how it goes.

Best regards

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
Thanks, Eclectic, this axel is mounted on the bottom of the spring. I am thinking about moving it up 2 inches but I don't want to cause launching problems.

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
Another small gain can be had with a raised hitch ball mount rather than lowered or straight.

A height gain can also be had by using longer spring shackles but I don't think you'll get 2" that way.

As mentioned, check the springs. If they're past their prime or have been swapped for a lesser rating they may be allowing you to sit a little lower.

Vehicle rear shocks can also allow the trailer to sit lower if they're worn.

Float off issues usually happen with shallow ramps like we have locally.
Most lake ramps that I've seen were a little steeper.

Of course, only one way to find out.

Best Regards