trailer Brakes

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
little breeze, I know that opinions vary and each have their own way of doing things which is fine. Here is what I have found in over 42 years of towing both my own boats and for others. With a C-22 if you have an adequate tow vehicle braking is no big deal on a small boat. One other thing I might note, the C-22 trailers generally have little to no tongue weight. My first suggestion is to move the upright bar at front as far forward as possible since the bunks are most likely welded. Then try to move the boat farther forward to help increase tongue weight. With it too far back the trailer can sway in a pretty ugly manner at speed or down hill when braking. Personally I have owned and pulled hundreds of surge brake trailer as well as electric. I do haul boats for a living up to about 18,000 lbs and your no ways near that but more weight and size exacerbate any issues. As for surge brakes if you use them often they can work, if you let it sit for a while that is when issues arise and repairs are expensive, more expensive than electric. You also have the backing issue with surge but this can be resolved with a back up solenoid. Electric brakes are cheaper to repair, cause fewer problems and can be used forward or reverse. Most likley to launch you will have to unplug anyway. Electrics can be abandoned for longer periods of time with out issue. My personal preference with over 3M miles of towing is towards electric brakes. Hands down. Yes they are drum which is not as good a disc but the only electrics with disc is hydraulic over electric which are awesome however you can't back it into the water as it destroys the electric pump. Electric's also are cheaper to install. One other advantage of electrics, should you have a sway problem you can touch the dash control and straighten it up on dry pavement or ice. Hydraulics also have a more fine line for the adjustment of the shoes and if this is off you can have one grab, or the trailer can pull one direction of another. My main trailer is a 34' triple axle with electrics and it can haul up to 15K #'s easily and I have never had a brake issue with it. On other peoples boats that I tow for them of 100 boats with surge brakes about 80% that have set over a year do not work, about 15% of them I will have issues in route up to complete failure. So for me it is hands down electric even thought I have to use drum. I do mountains all the time coast to coast and even the ALCAN and I bet my life on them. Again, that is just what works for me. Good luck in your choice, Ken

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
That's some pretty credible experience. I'd never considered electric brakes before..