Towing and Putting-In w/ a small truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2008
Hunter 20 Wilmington
Hey all: I've recently purchased an older Hunter 20, that probably weighs around 2000-2200 lbs unloaded. I have a pretty small truck and am curious about possible towing configurations to avoid having to get a bigger vehicle: Has anyone ever dealt with using a bumper mounted winch to pull the boat/trailer on and off a ramp? This seems pretty simple, low(er) cost and effectively eliminating tranny wear. Does anyone have any success or horror stories using 5-speed 4-cyl Ford Rangers or similar trucks to put boats this size in the water? Thanks

J

Jim Kolstoe

I would be concerned

about it for a couple of reasons. First, you indicated a weight of 2000 to 2200 lbs, but did not say if that included the trailer. My h23 has a rated displacement of 2450 lbs, but a truck scale shows axle weight of over 3000 lbs. (The tongue wight is neglible, I can one-hand it, admittedly not the best situation for towing.) Secondly, the tow vehicle weight to tow weight ratio is probably unfavorable. Many people like heavier tow vehicles because they are harder for the trailer to throw around. Having seen a travel trailer sway a full sized pickup into a 180 degree skid, and felt my boat trailer trying to do so, I consider that an interesting issue. Certainly tow bars help, but you should at least be aware of the risk. Third, you mentioned a bumper mounted winch for launching and retrieving your boat. Assuming sufficient vehicle weight and tire traction to avoid launching your truck, the question, based on the weakest link problem, is how srongly attached is your bumper? As an alternative, to the winch, talk to people with deep keep boats about launching and retrieving using a rope, cable or tow strap between the hitch and the trailer. I know the Santana 20 and other deep keeled skippers do that all the time around here (Fern Ridge Res., Eugene, OR). They unhitch on the flat just above the ramp, hook on the rope/cable/two strap, stretch it out and back the trailer down. Another alternative is to talk to friends or other sailers about borrowing their tow vehicle if you are launching to stay awhile. As for the ultimate suitability of your vehicle, check your owners manuel, talk to your mechanic, talk with other boaters in your area. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Jim Kolstoe. h23 Kara's Boo

J

Jack h23.5

Some things to think about..

Its one thing if it works, its another thing if there is an accident because of it. With that said, I pulled my Precision 165, which was about 1200 lbs with trailer and gear with a little saturn rated at 1000 lbs. Never had any trouble even on long trips at 60 mph, but I live in Florida, where hills are not an issue. I then got a Mazda B3000 pickup which was rated at 4000 lbs. It didn't pull the little boat any better, since its rear wheel drive had less traction then the smaller fwd. Now I'm back in a Saturn, but have a larger Hunter 23.5 to contend with, and its 3000lb load including the trailer. Since I keep it in a slip, I use an older Toyota Camery (2000lb rating) to pull it out to clean the bottom, but use a rented F-150 to haul it around. If I buy another tow vehicle it will most likely be a small suv (4000lb rating) or small p/u. Your small ranger p/u should handle it and I believe thats close to its rating, but I would have them mount a real hitch to the frame and not use the bumper hitch. One issue you may have is stopping since the weight of the boat is close to the weight of the vehicle.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Towing with a small car

As towing loads go, a 20 ft boat is on the small side and a ranger, depending on how it is equipped, might be able to handle it. However, for $10 you can run the rig over a commercial scale and get an exact weight. Then you can compare it to what the Ranger is certified to pull and do a better job of assessing risk. The problem with towing with a manual transmission is it creates a lot of wear on the clutch. If you already have a winch installed on the front bumper, using it to launch might work OK - this is a fairly common technique for small boats on steep ramps. Knowledge is power -- otherwise you have to rely on gut feel and luck. For more on towing small boats check out this link. You might get some ideas. http://kobernus.com/hunter260/travel/travel.html

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Why?

I ask why, because with fuel prices so high, F-150's are going for next to nothing. Adding a second, rarely used car to your insurance and registration should cost you a few hundred a year, add $1000 or so one time for the truck. My experience with the 4 cylinder 5 speed 2wd ranger is that it is base model. They have weaker springs than any other ranger (4x4 and v6 get upgraded suspensions), and they're generally underpowered pulling just themselves - plus, you don't have the right gears for pulling anything heavy. Almost anything is doable - but when I tried to move my hunter 23 with a ranger, it was miserable enough in a parking lot. I now prefer to use the lawn tractor (slower, but geared for the job) I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's surely not safe if you plan to go on the highway, and it probably won't be very fun (especially this rope-winch thing for launching)

B

brianbob

I also just got an older Hunter 20

I pulled it home with my 2004 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive basic ford ranger. The boat got very squirly over 55 miles an hour. If I kept the speed down, it did fine. It would not pick up speed going up grades, but I was never concerned that I wouldn't make it up a hill. A bigger truck would be better but I have what I have. If I get another truck, I'll get something bigger.

J

Jack h23.5

brianbob.. re-distribute some weight..

to stabilize the trailer. Tongue weight should be 8 to 10% of the load. If its light, you can try removing the motor and leaving it in the truck while on the highway. If you already do that, or don't want to mess with it, load your cooler in the cabin as far forward as it will go. Some of my friends made an mount for the motor attached to the winch stand. That removes 60lbs off the rear and adds 60lbs to the front for close to a 120 lb difference. That usually fixes the problem. On my Precision, just removing the 28 lb motor made a world of difference.

V

Vern

Brian M

Don't you just love it. As I sit back and wait for my full-size E150 and my Expedition to get used up, I look forward to all the folks looking to dump their late model pickups for cheap. I have in-laws who think they're saving money by trading their newer trucks at a huge loss in favor of a more fuel efficient car. You can buy an awful lot of gas for the money leave at the car dealer. It's too bad the public schools don't make math and science more of a requirement.

Dec 1, 2005
Hunter 23 Pennsville
Check with your marina

Sounds like Derelicte might be just worried about getting the boat up and down the ramp. Theres many vehicles that can tow a boat comfortably down the road but have an awful time at a boat ramp. If thats true, check with your marina. Mine owns a little bobcat with a trailer hitch on it they use to launch boats for people too nervous about using the ramp themselves. For a nominal fee, its a comfort to have an experienced hand at launch and retrieval as opposed to spending oodles to upgrade your vehicle to hande a ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.