Total yearly costs of a Catalina 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph Zajac

I was wondering if someone could tell me how much older model Catalinas require in repairs each year? I'm a college student who has money saved to buy a sailboat, but need to have an idea of how much indirect and direct costs will be a year. I know there will be a high variance between numbers, but it would be nice to get some estimates. Thank you!

G

Gary

boat costs

All boats have certain built in costs....eg:insurance,berthing (if in water) or trailer registration,storage fees,boat registration, launching fees,and bottom paint (again if in the water). The variables are in how you intend to use the boat. If you intend to race it, then there are sails to purchase. If you want mylar sails they can be costly.A lot depends on the owner and what toys they may want to add to it. VHF, Stero,T V, new lines,maybe roller furling or possibly a small dodger. The list goes on. A person may even need to purchase an engine (or upgrade) there are tune ups, prop repairs etc.I hope I did not make the list too long cause sailing is worth every dime! Gary

R

Rico

A solid boat should serve

Carefully chosen, a C-22 should be very cost effective. I own a 1972 model, and have not had to do much beyond preventative work. The greatest expenses were optional, non-essential items. Here is last year's barebones: Trailer registration: $25 Mooring fee: $70 Waxes, gelcoat, teak care products $100 other maintenance items Towing expenses (new lights/tires last year) $95 (I already owned a '79 Chevy 3/4 ton) The running mental tally in my head, which includes all costs including purchase price and all the non-essentials is around $8,500 for 5 years of ownership, or $1700/yr. This is around what most of my friends spend for a weeks vacation once a year. All together, I get about 3 month's (90 days) use/year. That's about $19/day. A night out for drinks, dinner and a movie, ect. all cost more than this. The boat winters for barter costs in a relative's barn. If i wanted, I could have sailed on the amount in the first column last year. Of course, I spent much more, all worth it. Not included are all the drinks, snacks, and other favors generously donated by friends who enjoy a good sail. On the flip side is all the sail mending, outboard rebuilding, bottom painting, teak refinishing, radio repairing, leak finding and stopping, and so on (and on). But doing your own maintenance does more than save money. On the whole, sailors are natural do-it -yourselfers and willing to share experiences. Something about directly and intuitively working with pinciples of aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, mechanics, physics, meterology, protocol, and teamwork develop and hone problem solving and working to a solution in creative ways. Being at the mercy of these things teaches humility and respect. The result is automatic membership in a class of fantastic people. My advice...get the boat, sail it as much as possible, and the rest will take care of itself.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Don't forget...

You also have to have a vehicle with the appropriate towing capability. Gas to run the truck, gas to run the boat, batteries to run the lights, alcohol to run the stove (& parties!), required USCG equipment (PFDs, etc) and, of course, the dreaded EMERGENCY! Who knows, could be a dead motor, blown out sails, hole in the side of the boat. But you will need either an emergency fund or a credit card with a decent ($1000 would be a good starting point) limit. Of all the above, the gas for the truck (or moorage) would be the most expensive. Good luck & have fun!!! LaDonna

J

jkleid@bestweb.net

go for it- if you can

like all of the other responses and also obvious, is that the boat is a toy, toys cost, and as mentioned sailboat toys need work and $. Like JP Morgan once or twice said, "if your asking how much it'll cost ya can't afford it. Locate a club, crew for someone-they always need a hand, learn and sail for free, and with those contacts costs will reveal themselves- you will probably find a decent boat in the process.

T

Ted

It depends . . .

on how many "things" you add to your boat on a yearly basis. I spend about $2,000 last year and $1,000 this year. Much of that was discretionary, and added things to the boat. Bare bones maintenance, I figure would be about $500 per year. Then you add your launching/slip/mooring costs and there you have it. Regards, Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.