topping up transmission oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Moretti

Is there any danger to inadvertently mixing transmission oil types when topping up for winter storage? The oil could be changed before running the engine in Spring? This is a Hurth trans on an M25.

P

Pete

oils

it is never a good idea to mix oil types (i.e. engine oil and trans fluid) I don't bellieve you will do any danage if you don't run the trans however I would flush and put in the correct oil bebore running it come spring time (you might want to change it a second time after you have used the boat the first time) You asked about mixing trans fluid types, still change the fluid unless you mean brands there is no harm mixing brands because they have to meet a goverment standard that makes them compatable. Some will add a little something "extra" to there blend to tell you how much better it is, but not a big deal. Just for the piece of mind change the trans fluid again in the spring!

D

Dave

Oil?

Good morning, Robert: Just to add to Pete's response: I try to avoid mixing brands if possible, but I wouldn't drain for just that reason. I would, however drain the trans. every couple of years or so. If you are a new owner and don't know if it has ever been done, go ahead and do it in the spring. The easy way is to pump out thru the fill/dipstick hole with a Jabsco hand pump, and when you are sucking air, then open drain on bottom. You should only get a couple of table spoons full that way. Much less mess in the bilge. Be carefull not to lose the metal gasket that is on both the fill and drain plugs, and make sure the Jabsco pump hose is very very clean before you stick it into the trans. Check the condition of the metal gaskets mentioned earlier, especially if used in salt water. There have been reports of problems with the gaskets after a few years due to corrosion. I drain the last few tablespoons into a plastic margerine container that I cut down to fit under the trans in the bilge and inspect the fluid for crud and fine shavings. There should be very little if any of the former. I then pour a few tablespoons of fresh oil into the top to "Flush" any remaining crud. Do this every couple of years and you will have no problems. If you put more than 100hrs a year, do it every year. Fair winds Dave

T

tobe

trans fluids

the mixing of oils will affect your seals and sealing surfaces eventhough not being used. Proper oil even for storage is a small price to pay compared to your investment and future trouble reduced enjoyment.

G

Gordon Torresen

Reverse gear oil

I doubt that the wrong oil will affect the reversing gear adversly. From your description it sounds like you have read the manual and filled the gear for the winter and plan to drain it down in the spring. I would recommend blacking out those lines in your manual. Filling the gear to the top is a good way to find, or generate, those leaks that won't be there in normal operation. The description in the book is for long term lay-up, like 2+ years. Come spring, drain it down, refill with ATFA and enjoy the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.