Topping Lift - is there an easier way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2004
- - Black Rock, CT
This is our second season with our 1972 Catalina 22. We love her and she's a great boat, but the topping lift is an absolute b%$*# to unhook and hook, making the IDEA of ever single-handing her IMPOSSIBLE. On the end of the boom, there's a cotter pin that attaches through a wire loop on the backstay. Obviously, when there's any tension on it at all (ie. if you raise the main before unhooking it) the cotter pin is a nightmare to try to undo. We have unhooked it and then raised the sail (in heavy wind) which is a bit easier, but then you're dealing with the boom hanging free and resting in the cockpit or on the floor... Any advice? Is there a different technique, or a different piece of hardware we could use?

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
options

Hello, You have a number of options. 1. You can add a real, adjustable topping lift. My boat has one (the previous owner added it). It is a line that goes up the main, over a sheave, and down to the end of the boom. Since it's adjustable (and not connected to the backstay), I leave it connected all the time. When the sail is down, it hold the boom up. When the sail is up there is no tension on it. 2. If you want to use the 'pig tail' on the backstay, change the cotter pin to a simple shackle or just a snap ring. Raise the main, and if there is too much tension to remove the ring use the main sheet to pull the boom down enough to remove the ring. Good luck! Barry

G

guy cambria,jr

Hopefully !!!!!!

I had the same problem with my Catalina 30 There are two alternatives. 1. A hard vang which is suported by the Main halyard when not sailing or 2. because I have a split backstay, I can rig a line from the split via an old block using my excess reefing line to hold up the boom.Forespar hard vangs should be supported when not in use to take pressure off of the piston.Hope this may be of some help!!!!!!!

May 20, 2004
Catalina 22 Oshkosh, WI
Re: topping lift

Kim, I sounds like you're referring to a "pigtail" type arrangement and not a topping lift. A topping lift would not hamper raising or lowering sails at all. If you had a topping lift, it would be a (usually adjustable) line connecting the masthead to the end of the boom that is separate from the backstay. When you raise your main with a topping lift, it would just go slack as the sail lifts the boom. As you lower the main, the boom would settle down until the topping lift is taught again. It's a very simple rig, although you'd have to lower your mast to set it up. I have both a topping lift and a pigtail on my boat. The pigtail is really only good for keeping the boom from swinging out to the side when docked. The topping lift is what holds the boom up out of the cockpit when the sail is not up. Some people also use the topping lift in light air to raise the boom a little making the sail fuller. It's a pretty handy thing to have.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
It's easy

Our C22 has a line that is tied off at the same spot as the backstay to the masthead. The other end is tied to an eye at the end of the boom. It allows the boom to be a bit lower than when sailing but high enough to save our heads when we bring down the main. It does not interfere when sailing. Easy and cheap. Randy

Jun 6, 2004
- - Philadelphia, PA
Boomkicker

Check out a boomkicker. In conjunction with a boom vang, it is much superior to a topping lift in my opnion. I've used both, and the boomkicker wins hands down.

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 Port Orchard WA
Pigtail

We use the pig tail and we also have an adjustable split back stay. The trick is as follows: -Motor into the wind, -Lock the tiller, (Tiller tamer or similar) -Snug the mainsheet with the boom still on the pigtail. -Raise the main hile motoring into the wind. -Secure the halyard. -With the sail up, slack off the mainsheet a bit, -Remove the boom from the pigtail while motoring into the wind, (the mainsheet will keep it from flying off) -Fall off the wind and control the boom/main with the mainsheet. Do the reverse for lowering the main. -Motor into the wind, (at 3 knots or so) -Place the tiller in the tiller tender, (I use bungy cords attached to the tiller) -Close haul the sail, -While luffing pick up the boom and place it on the pig tail. -Tighten the mainsheet, -Drop the main, (flake it, stack it or roll it and tie it on the boom) That's it. I agree that having a topping lift is the best situation, especially for the "older" folks. I do this single-handed and have experienced occasional problems with steerage. It seems that when winds are 10 to 15 knots or so, if I am slow to drop the main the boat drifts off and tries to find its wind. Campy Windsocket C-22 #2226

B

Bob B.

Non adjustable, Topping Lift? No tiller tamer

Hell Kim: My boom holder upper line is non adjustable like Randy's so I don't know if it is still called a topping lift. Nothing could be easier to work with & works great. I have a comment regarding lowering the main. When the head sail is not up, sail into the wind, ease the mainsheet a bit, let the tiller go & the boat will stay into the wind. It will dance around on each side of the wind but that is OK. You can lower the main with no problem. Use a bit of spray lube (with Teflon)on the sail slugs & it will come down on it's own, almost. A downhaul would even be better. I climb onto the cabin top to pull the sail down. I always let the boat bounce around & put the sail cover on before motoring into the marina so I allow for some drifting. When I am single handing & need to change (or remove) the head sail from 130% to 110% (I don't have a jib or storm jib) I do the same thing, leaving the main up. Head into the wind, let the head sail down, let the tiller go, climb to the foredeck change the sail, back to the cockpit & raise the new head sail. The boat will stay head to wind during this procedure with the main up. Needless to say the ride on the foredeck is exciting in the strong breeze & sometimes a bit on the wet side. I should have mentioned, Halyards led aft to the cockpit are necessary. Also I have a netting between the first two stanchions so the head sail doesn't blow overboard when lowered. In a real strong wind, I often sail under the main alone. Regards, Bob B.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
quick fix...

86 the cotterpin and install a snap shackle, shap hook, fast pin, push pin or captive pin halyard shackle on your pigtail. Anything but a cotter pin. permanent fix: install a static topping lift better permanent fix: install an adjustable topping lift Best permantnt fix: install a rigid vang, such as made by Garhaurer. Life will be easier, I guarantee it.

May 20, 2004
Catalina 22 Oshkosh, WI
Re: topping lift vs. rigid vang

One thing to note. The rigid vang (kicker) is much, much more expensive than a simple static or adjustable topping lift. In case you're wondering.... :eek:)

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Campy - Say What??

What do you mean a topping lift is good for "older" folks?? I resemble that remark! ;-) Randy

K

Ken

Boomkicker

A ridgid vang and a boomkicker are not the same thing. Both will eliminate the topping lift but the boomkicker is much cheaper than a ridgid vang. If you already have a vang it's the way to go. Check their website.

Jun 5, 2004
- - Greenwich, CT
Boom Kicker And Solid Vang Performance Boost

Either a solid vang or the Boom Kicker can be installed in such a fashion that they will lift the boom and permit the main to spill air which will allow you to keep the main raised longer before a reef is necessary. While this same action can be achieved through a topping lift, topping lift action is more complicated while a solid vang and Boom Kicker would be as automatic as releasing the vang and adjusting the main sheet. On a beat, lifting the boom will reduce heel and weather helm which means the rudder will be straighter and hence the boat will go faster. Or at least that’s the theory, and individual results will vary. In the case of the Boom Kicker, one needs only mount the boom fitting about three inches closer to the mast and the mast fitting about a corresponding three inches lower than that as indicated in the instructions provided by the manufacturer with the unit that Catalina Direct sells. This will lift the boom about ten degrees, sans sail, with the vang off. Also, you will probably need to have at least a four to one purchase on the vang with the Boom Kicker in this configuration. It can be moved up a notch to five to one if you place the fiddle block with the cam cleat onto the boom. This is what I have done to my ‘81 Catalina 22. I should also note that I must give credit to another C-22 sailor for advising me on the placement of the Boom Kicker fittings.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I beg to differ....

First comment: The boomkicker is not a cheaper alternative to the rigid vang. In the west marine catalogue the appropriate sized boomkicker for a 22 foot boat is priced at $189.99, while Garhaurer's rigid vang for boats 18 to 25 ft is priced at $187.00. Second: Regarding the performance comments from the previous post. A topping lift, or rigid vang. supports and lifts the boom whem the wimd is too light to provide enough pressure. If it's windy enough to reef, you won't need any help from the vang or topping lift to raise the boom. I can't possibly see how a rigid vang's lifting feature would help you avoid reefing.

Jun 14, 2004
- - Black Rock, CT
Thanks!!!!

Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses. Just read through all, and (duh) I think the easiest, quickest fix will be to change the cotter pin to a shackle or a snap ring. Note to Roger: that is EXACTLY how we do raise and lower the main... but the hardware is still so cumbersome that it's hard to do and undo... even with two hands. We aren't really in a position to make any major investments... but we love her and want to keep sailing as long as we can!

Dec 2, 2003
- - Rochester NY
The "pig tail" was only meant to be used after

lowering the main as a way to keep the boom out of the cockpit at rest. It shouldn't be used to hold the boom up while raising the main, however. Using the pigtail this way raises your risk of a knockdown should a sudden gust of wind come along since the boom will not be able to swing away from the wind. An adjustable line from the top of your mast to the end of the boom (topping lift) will keep the boom up and will allow movement of the boom. Your mainsheet should also be allowed to run free while raising the main - just in case. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.