Topping Lift Connected To The Boom While Under Sail

Jan 19, 2021
Macgregor 26D Puerto Penasco
I usually leave my topping lift attached to the boom while under sail. Is this a good idea or not?
I know I've seen this discussion on the forum but can't find it... so I apologize for double posting a topic.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
As long as it is loose, so as not to interfere with sail shape. But I prefer to disconnect it.

May 20, 2005
- - Fond du Lac,WI
Ditto to what Sailavie1 said - keep it away from the sail and it's fine.

If you do loose it, you can attach it to the back stay, mast, or anyplace that's convenient, where it wont flop around.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I usually leave my topping lift attached to the boom while under sail. Is this a good idea or not?
I know I've seen this discussion on the forum but can't find it... so I apologize for double posting a topic.
Do you mean the short pigtail attached to the backstay, or an actual topping lift from the mast?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Some use an adjustable topping lift to shape the mainsail. Typically light wind, tighten the topping lift to raise the end of the boom and allow the main to alter shape.

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I have the bitter end turning through a small block and then into a jam cleat on boom. I use it to lift boom when raising the main, then leave it loose when sailing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If the topping lift is not adjustable, disconnect it and clip it to the backstay if it's not needed. If it's adjustable, once the mainsail is up you'll want to set it so it's loose enough to not interfere with the batten ends, yet tight enough to prevent it from slapping the sail.......................... it's a pain in the ass... My suggestion to remove this nonsense from your sailing pleasure.... invest in a rigid vang or a boom kicker and say bye bye to the topping lift altogether. Happy Days after that, my friend.

Trader

Nov 21, 2018
Macgregor 26x Kingston, ON
I have 2 clips on my topping lift and it attaches to the end of my boom .
I use the shorter one while motoring and the longer one when sailing. Basically just a storage hook up when sailing.

Jan 19, 2021
Macgregor 26D Puerto Penasco
I have 2 clips on my topping lift and it attaches to the end of my boom .
I use the shorter one while motoring and the longer one when sailing. Basically just a storage hook up when sailing.
I like that idea. Picture?

Mar 15, 2021
Macgregor Venture 22 Brooklyn
I have left the topping lift connected on my Ericson-27 since 1985 when I got her. I just loosen it. I expect I will do the same on my venture 22.