Tohatsu Sailpro Review/Log

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I bought a Tohatsu 6hp non-sail pro for my Capri 22 last fall. Been using it all summer. I find it to be a great motor and good quality. I am thinking of switching the prop to the Sail Pro high pitch prop but I am not sure if I really need to. The motor moves my boat along just fine. I was able to get mine in white and I matches the boat really well! Only issue I have had is the pull starter gets stuck halfway through the pull. I have been jiggling the shifter a little bit to make sure its in neutral and that seems to help.

Mar 31, 2019
Catalina 22 12640 Rose City Yacht Club
I bought the non-sail pro version of the Tohatsu 6hp a couple years ago. Likewise it worked just fine, but I was always curious if the sail pro prop (aka the high thrust prop) would make a difference. Last winter I had the high thrust prop installed and whew boy, it really does make a difference. I sail on a river with a current, and in the springtime during periods of high water runoff making headway up-river can be difficult. I would have to be at 75-90% throttle to make decent headway with the old prop, but I can easily cruise at 50% throttle and make at least the same speed-over-ground, and I suspect a little faster. Highly recommend it if you have it in your budget.

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I bought the non-sail pro version of the Tohatsu 6hp a couple years ago. Likewise it worked just fine, but I was always curious if the sail pro prop (aka the high thrust prop) would make a difference. Last winter I had the high thrust prop installed and whew boy, it really does make a difference. I sail on a river with a current, and in the springtime during periods of high water runoff making headway up-river can be difficult. I would have to be at 75-90% throttle to make decent headway with the old prop, but I can easily cruise at 50% throttle and make at least the same speed-over-ground, and I suspect a little faster. Highly recommend it if you have it in your budget.
Did you purchase that prop and now the part number or did a dealer do it for you? I think I am going to order one for mine.

Mar 31, 2019
Catalina 22 12640 Rose City Yacht Club
I had my local Tohatsu dealer purchase and install the prop. I'm looking at the receipt right now, but they didn't put the part number on it. It looks like they charged me $115 for the prop, plus more for installation. Tohatsu's propeller chart page seems to indicate it's part number 399B645121. Here's a link to the website with the propeller part numbers: PROPELLER CHART | PARTS & ACCESSORIES | TOHATSU North America. Let us know if you end up installing it and if you notice a difference.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That is great info right there. Glad it worked out so well! :thumbup:

Aug 3, 2023
Ventura Sport Boats Malbec 18 Chapin
Hello! First post here at SBO and I'm grateful for the shared knowledge. I just bought a 2018 Malbec 18. As a first time boat owner, I figured I better understand the most complex part of the vessel: her Tohatsu 6 HP SailPro.

Being relatively new and supposedly not used very much, I don't believe the previous owner had done any work on the engine (as in, when I asked him, I got a bit of a deer-in-headlights look). I can only hope he at least followed the break-in protocol.

So I'm planning to do what should be routine maintenance on the engine:
  • Spark plug replacement
  • Fuel filter changes (at tank and at engine)
  • Oil drain and refill (full synthetic)
  • Oil filter change - WAIT, WHAT?!
Yes, this last step confounds me a bit because while the manual (here it is) mentions "oil filter" three times in the PDF, there doesn't seem to be one. There also seems to be a typo in the manual confusing "oil filter" with "oil filler," referring to the cap for the latter. Searching online for an engine-specific filter did not help much. So I'd like to confirm with the folks here that, indeed, this one-cylinder, 4-stroke engine, does NOT have an oil filter.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@Rusty4x4 welcome to the forum! when you have a new question like this its generally a good idea to just start a new thread. I have the Mercury version of the 5hp sail pro and can confirm it does not have an oil filter or a fuel filter unless a PO installed an inline one. They are a very simple and reliable motor. Not knowing the maintenance history I would change the plug, lower unit gear oil, motor oil, and impeller. Then run it for a session and see if it gives you any troubles. As they age the fuel pump may weaken a bit (made it more than 5 years on mine before changing it).

Generally I do the impeller and inline fuel filter every other year and the oil every year. Starts first or 2nd pull and runs great. Hope this helps.

Aug 3, 2023
Ventura Sport Boats Malbec 18 Chapin
Thank you for the information about the oil filter. I went after the easy changes first: motor oil and spark plug, then will go onto the gear oil and impeller soon. Interestingly, the 6 hp SailPro has two fuel filters: one at the motor and one at the tank. So I'll change those last. Thanks again.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Fuel tank filter is in tank at end of screw in fuel connector., Just take out and clean, just a copper screen sleeve. Depending on which tank you buy may differ in configuration;