Toerail core

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Anyone know what species of wood was used in the Catalina 34 (1986) toerail/bulwork as a core? I am repairing a boat with major cracking beneath the outboard genoa track and the core is saturated. If noone knows the wood used originally, any suggestions on what would be suitable?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's either balsa end grain or just plywood. If it's rotted as you describe, then it really doesn't matter, does it? Repairs of cored decks is pretty well covered in most boat repair literature. I'm no expert on it, 'cuz I don't have that problem, but fully understand the complexities involved in your situation.

You might suggest to your friend that he try joining us on the C34 website, too, in addition to learning all you can here.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/board,11.0.html

If you post the same question there, I'm sure there are a number of folks who will be more than glad to help.

Good luck.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Thanks, Stu. I have recored many decks, both balsa and ply, but few toerails. This is a new one on me. I haven't really dug out the core yet but I suspect it is just wet, not rotted. However, in my experience, it would take far too long to dry out the rail coring, especially with winter coming on fast. Have asked the owner to come up and remove the genny track so we can progress more quickly. Will post what we find inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.