toe rail leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil Stephens

I have recently discovered a leak around the toe rail area. If I removed the toe rail and reseal everything, do I seal where the deck meets the hull or just under the to rail? Any recommendations is appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Tighten first?

Have you or can you just tighten it? This might stop the leak and save you a lot of work. I know this works on my H37C where I can reach them. Maybe you are fortunate and have the kind of overlapping hull to deck joint where the nuts are outside the boat. This makes it very easy to tighten them. If they are inside like mine along with the stanchion bolts there may be some that could never be reached.

N

Neil Stephens

tightened toe rail

Thanks for your response. I have tightend all of them and it still leaks. I just dont know if I need to pull the deck and hull apart and seal or if sealing under the rail will work.

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
Yes, no, maybe......

Neil, What make and size boat? Aluminum or wood toe rail. Toe rail attached with screws,bolts, or rivets? Fasteners inside or outside the boat? Inside hull to deck joint glassed over? Leaking after a hard rain, or after a day of dragging the tow rail in a leeward sea? I have a Com-Pac 16 that had to have the joint sealed, but on my Columbia Sabre I was able to get away with sealing the toe rail fasteners. Larry Wilson Richmond,Va.

N

Neil

toe rail

Larry, I have a Hunter 37, aluminum toe rail attached by bolts outside. I cannont tell if the joint is glassed over. I probably will see when removing the toe rail. As far as when it leaks..anytime water is in contact with it - rain, washing, etc. Thanks. Neil

Apr 20, 2008
Beneteau 31.7 -
Toe rail answer

If water is getting under your toe rail, you need to take the whole railing off and have a look to see what the damage beneath is like. You should be careful to thoroughly check, as water will get into the deck and cause extensive damage. If this is the case then you will need to replace the damaged area. My site has explanations which should help (see below). If there is no damage beneath the toe rail then use a sealant to bond it back. Best Wishes Chris

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I am no expert, but..

....it would seem to me, that the bedding compound for the toe rail should not be what stops your deck/hull joint from leaking. That joint should be water tight on its own so any repair would have to address the actual joint. The toe rail's function is aesthetic covering the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.