to sail or not

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
We are looking to take the boat out for the first time next weekend. Maybe just use the kicker....buuuut I don't know if I can contain myself and not raise a sail. I have been reading and looking at videos. I don't want to get i to trouble and hurt the boat. how about using only the head sail or just the head sail reefed? any suggestions for me?
thanks
Greg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
"If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen out there"
Seriously, if the wind conditions are modest, do it !! It will be quite a rush the first time.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
The best way to learn is by experience. As Justin said, with moderate conditions just do it. Sails work best together so I'd say to put them both up and reef one or both if the wind conditions warrant.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Where are we going, skipper? - I don't know.
"But if we get lost, we'll just pull in somewheres and ask directions."

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You will have to do it sooner or latter and actually you can practice raising the sails with the boat still on the trailer. It will not fly off. In calm to moderate conditions go ahead and raise both sails. What powers a sail is the pulling on the sheets, as long as they are loose the sails will just flap around not imparting any power to the boat. Point the boat into the wind to raise them and to lower them. Tighten the halyards and curl around a cleat but make no knots or ties, friction will hold them secure but ready to be loosened in an instant. Slowly veer off from the centered wind direction and watch the sails catch wind. Pull gradually on the halyard until they fill and pretty soon the boat will start moving. Do not panic in a puff of wind just gradually release the main sheet. You can also use the rudder to direct more or less wind into the sails by moving the boat closer or farther away from the wind direction. Wish I could be there, love a good circus act.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Yeah, it's a sailboat, I assume you've already raised the sails in the driveway just to make sure you got all the necessary parts right ?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
What powers a sail is the pulling on the sheets, as long as they are loose the sails will just flap around not imparting any power to the boat.
This is true as long as you're heading less than 90 degrees to the wind. When heading down wind be sure you have room to turn up wind again to slow down or stop.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We sail for pleasure and that means that when the wind dies or moves to the nose we crank the engine up. If you are unemployed, retired, a masochist, a purist or just don't want to go home then you can sail with no engine. I'm over that.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I suggest finding someone who knows a little, or a lot, about sailing to go out with you the first time.... at least show you how to get the sails up down with out freaking you out.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I suggest finding someone who knows a little, or a lot, about sailing to go out with you the first time.... at least show you how to get the sails up down with out freaking you out.
Best advice.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
you'll never know if you never go. If it gets too hairy, drop the sails and turn on the kicker. The definition of sailing is, "Hours of boredom, interspersed with moments of sheer panic." :yikes:

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
OK I got the head sail up with the mast.(still furled)...got the
boom attached to the mast but cannot figure out what holds the back of the boom up when the main sail is furled. :banghead:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You should have a topping lift, a boomkicker, or maybe a pigtail on the backstay that clips to the boom.

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
AHHH Thanks Justin! It's dark now Ill figure out what I have tomorrow....

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
Found it.. OP just had a single line tired to the top of the mast that he tired to the tang at the end of the boom.????

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Found it.. OP just had a single line tired to the top of the mast that he tired to the tang at the end of the boom.????
So that would be a "half-topping lift?" or a very long pig tail . BTW - "captain Ron=best sailing movie ever. Except maybe "Wind"