to reef or not to reef....

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
So we'll be bringing our Deep Blew (Mac 25) 39 nM up the Upper Chesapeake for winter storage tomorrow. The weather is going to be nice although a bit cool with a max temp of 66F. The winds are predicted to build from 10 kts (W) to 14 kts (WNW). Considering we will be sailing generally to NE (initially NNE), would you consider reefing in these conditions? I intend to carry only a jib and main. I expect the seas to be around 1.5 ft .
I think the boat can take a lot more, but I'm taking into consideration the crew comfort for that 6-7 hr sail. Also, I think I can expect some gusts, but the weather forecast does not say anything about it.:neutral:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you think about needing a reef, do it.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Reef. Maybe 2 reefs, depending. I don't know the boat, but I doubt you will have any trouble going hull speed with less. You should also be comfortable taking them in and out underway. I hope you've practiced.

16-18 with gusts to 25 knots.
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/herring_bay

[SIZE=+1]SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1] SATURDAY AFTERNOON[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1] REST OF TODAY[/SIZE] SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. [SIZE=+1] TONIGHT[/SIZE] SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 2 FT. [SIZE=+1] SAT[/SIZE] W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Reef. Maybe 2 reefs, depending. I don't know the boat, but I doubt you will have any trouble going hull speed with less. You should also be comfortable taking them in and out underway. I hope you've practiced.

16-18 with gusts to 25 knots.
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/herring_bay

[SIZE=+1]SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]SATURDAY AFTERNOON[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]REST OF TODAY[/SIZE] SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. [SIZE=+1]TONIGHT[/SIZE] SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 2 FT. [SIZE=+1]SAT[/SIZE] W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.
GHAAAAA!!!!!! the weather channel is calling 14-16 MPH! crap. Thanks!

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Oh, OK, I checked Tolchester Beach (which is closer to where I'll be), and they call for 14-16 MPH (12-14 KTS) with gusts to 25 mph (21.2 kts). Definitely on the limit, but still safe. No advisory for upper Chesapeake, though.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
GHAAAAA!!!!!! the weather channel is calling 14-16 MPH! crap. Thanks!
Always always always look at MARINE FORECASTS for sailing weather.

You want wind over water in knots, not over land in MPH.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Always always always look at MARINE FORECASTS for sailing weather.

You want wind over water in knots, not over land in MPH.
Right. NOAA just issued a small craft advisory for the entire Northern Chesapeake through Sunday. The Admiral said she is NOT going anywhere near the boat in any type of advisory and now they call for 3-foot waves. So I guess I'm not going...:doh:

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Looks like Pooles Island is the dividing line, once past that it doesn't look too bad. Looks like west to n-west winds, so you'll be on the leashore and the waves bigger due to the fetch across the bay. I'd reef the main and use the smallest headsail you have and enjoy the ride. Maybe put the keel afew cranks up from the normal position to help ease your helm some. I will probably be heading south towards Worton or Still Pond......look for the yellow boat :)

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
So we'll be bringing our Deep Blew (Mac 25) 39 nM up the Upper Chesapeake for winter storage tomorrow. The weather is going to be nice although a bit cool with a max temp of 66F. The winds are predicted to build from 10 kts (W) to 14 kts (WNW). Considering we will be sailing generally to NE (initially NNE), would you consider reefing in these conditions? I intend to carry only a jib and main. I expect the seas to be around 1.5 ft .
I think the boat can take a lot more, but I'm taking into consideration the crew comfort for that 6-7 hr sail. Also, I think I can expect some gusts, but the weather forecast does not say anything about it.:neutral:

I'm a little surprised that you question the ability of a Mac 25 in a mere 10-14 kts and 1.5 foot waves....

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I'm a little surprised that you question the ability of a Mac 25 in a mere 10-14 kts and 1.5 foot waves....
I wasn't the one questioning it - the Admiral was. I would have gone sailing. NOAA was actually predicting 3-ft waves and 15 kts winds gusting to 21 kts. with small craft advisory for the entire area through 8 PM and then the entire Sunday , and that's what made Admiral veto any possibility of the trip. BTW, the Belcak weather station is showing current winds 7-9 kts gusting to 11 kts. URRRGHHH I cannot win.....

Jul 27, 2014
MacGregor Venture 224 Trailer Sailor
Lol...I hear you. Weather is one of my main studies as we continue to learn all we can. I have found its never absolutely certain and only somewhat predictable.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
“Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.”
Charles Dudley Warner.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
this is NOAA at 2:46 PM
SynopsisA COLD FRONT WILL APPROACH THE WATERS EARLY THIS AFTERNOON...CROSSING THE WATERS LATER THIS EVENING. HIGH PRESSURE WILL THEN BUILD THROUGH SUNDAY. LOW PRESSURE IS EXPECTED OVER THE WATERS TUESDAY INTO LATE IN THE WEEK. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IS LIKELY TO CONTINUE SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY EVENING.
This Afternoon W winds 15 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Waves 3 ft.
Tonight NW winds 10 to 15 kt. Gusts up to 25 kt early in the evening. Waves 2 to 3 ft.
Sun NW winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Waves 3 ft.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
According to belcak weather station (local to Rock Hall)

Wind from W W
10.0 mph
Gust:
12.7 mph
3 Bft - Gentle breeze
Today: 19.0 mph 2:38pm
Gust Month: 22.0 Oct 6
Anybody sees a difference??? I HATE NOAA - all they do is create anxiety...

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
so it's not "10-15 kts gusting to 25." It's 9-10 kts gusting to 17 kts. UUURRRGGGHHHHHH

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Looks like Pooles Island is the dividing line, once past that it doesn't look too bad. Looks like west to n-west winds, so you'll be on the leashore and the waves bigger due to the fetch across the bay. I'd reef the main and use the smallest headsail you have and enjoy the ride. Maybe put the keel afew cranks up from the normal position to help ease your helm some. I will probably be heading south towards Worton or Still Pond......look for the yellow boat :)
Let me know how it went...:cry:

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Is fly full canvas and enjoy it. I don't see reefing in any of that forecast. :) is offer to join you but I can't.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
We went out about 1pm. Headed south down the North East river towards Turkey Point. Winds were sustained 20 with gusts to 27. We had doubled reefed main only to keep it a nice calm sail. Definetly wouldn't have been a calm ride in a Mac, or a dry one. We were taking plenty of water over the bow.