Tied down

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ex-admin

When making an overnight cruise, what's your preferred method to tie the boat down for the night? Would you rather trust your fate to your anchor, find a vacant mooring buoy, tie up to the security of a dock... or is your good time a simple day sail without the hassle of overnighting? Does your spouse or significant other have a significant say in your choice? Tell us how like to tie down, and why, then vote in the Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. (Quiz contributed by Bob Early, Hunter 27 'Second Nature')

May 19, 2004
Irwin 52 Slidell, LA
It depends

We sail on the Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coast. My favorite thing is to anchor out at the barrier islands. There is alot of intercoastal traffic down here, so you don't want to anchor up just anywhere. Some friends recently moved their boat from Louisiana to Texas via the Intracoastal. The trip took 5 days and they tied up at marina's if possible or anchored barges (with permission) We don't have many moorings down in our neck of the woods, so that's not an option. I'm attaching a picture of us anchored at Ship Island, MS

C

captbill

We use transient docks, mostly

We enjoy weekend cruising a lot on STARGAZER. Most of the destinations in our cruising grounds offer transient docks - and we use those, although - at an average of $1.50/ft/night - these are not the cheapest way to go. Only one of our destinations has moorings (Put-in-Bay) and we like using those, and only one allows you to anchor (Kelley's Island North Bay.)

Feb 13, 2004
Oday 22 Setauket, NY
Usually day sail

We mosty use our boat for daysailing. Below decks is a bit cramped for us to do any extensive overnighting (Oday 22). Occasionally we will stay overnight on our own mooring.

G

Greig Carroll

Over night

We have used all three, anchor, mooring and docking. As far as cost goes it all depends on where we go. Some places are cheap to alongside a dock, $10 -$15/night. Others it could be as much as $40. Moorings are about the same depending. To us it makes no difference. We have a tender to get us ashore if we need to. Sometimes it's safer to be off the dock if your going to explore the town or area for any length of time. People tend to not want to swim out to check out your boat. Obviously the preference would be a dock just for the ease. But I won't stay out of an area just because I have to anchor.

R

Richard

Da Beach!

Although not always an option, our favorite way to secure for the evening is to sail right onto the beach, ideally near a tree or some other structure that can be tied down to. We like the solid ground feeling (less boat movement)for sleeping. Also, being able to walk around in the moon/star light and play is great; a nice campfire can also be an added bonus. About 90 % of our sailing is on lakes, which makes this option easier, though some beaches around Charleston (Morris Island)can be beached upon. I'm sure there are drawbacks (the sandpaper affect on the bottom), yet we feel that this is negligible when compared with the pleasures of a private beach. The "beachabilty" of the MacGregor is, to me, one of it's best assets! Does anyone know of any good secluded locations along the coast from (more or less)Myrtle beach to Charleston?

Jun 14, 2004
C&C 43' Landfall Niceville, FL
Swing on the hook

We prefer to drop the anchor. If we wanted to stay at the dock we wouldn't leave our house. Sipping a glass of wine and watching the stars while swinging in the wind in a secluded anchorage is one of the best parts of the boating experience. With the right anchor and technique we are as safe on the hook as we are in our bed at home. G & S Long, Niceville Fl

A

agolden

Tied

When the weather permits...swinging on the hook. when it doesn't...day-sailing or docking at a friendly marina with a pool.

Jun 14, 2004
- - miami
hooker

Since I got a windless and chain rode, I anchor when ever possible. Better breeze and no fees.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Chester,N.S
At anchor

We usually drop anchor, unless there is a mooring we feel is safe at our chosen spot. ( A lot less work)It feels very different than being in a slip.

R

Rollyn Trueblood

On the Hook

We usually drop a light weight Danforth, and keep a heavier one ready too.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Cheap seat - ANCHOR!!!!!

I have invested in all chain, big anchor, and windlass to haul it all. I really hate to have to pay good money for a mooring or slip. I only take a mooring or slip if forced. I'd rather spend my cruising budget on a nice bottle of wine or a dinner out with my wife. We are both confortable on our anchor. We have our technique down and are more confident on our own ground tackle than picking up an unknown mooring.

B

Bill Bell

Anchored

We anchor about 95% of the time. We go to places where marinas and moorings don't exist. We spend about 2 months a year in the Bahamas and normally spend about 3 days at docks. This is to check in with customs and fill the water tanks a couple of times at Nassau. We keep an eye on the weather and find well protected anchorages when necessary. We use all chain rode and never drag. We use two anchors and Bahamian moor when in swift tidal flows. We enjoy being by our selfs and away from the marinas. Bill

B

Bruce A. Harten

island ports greece

Most small island ports in greece have poured concrete jettys and piers, with cip bollards and cleats ( no shore power, some fresh water), we set two plows off the bow then fender the stern, backing in to secure lines off the stern to two points off the pier, which gives us good purchase and permits rafting on port and stbd.

R

Richard

Solitude

My wife and I like solitude and natural scenery so we don't dock unless we have an onshore destination. We anchor near one of the islands in the Mississippi Sound. There are no moorings in this area.

L

Lisa

Anchors Away!

We use a 35lb Bruce on one end and a CQR on the other. The funny part is when he takes the stern anchor out in the row boat. One must be careful to put all of the chain in the boat before rowing because if you don't you won't get very far! This happend only once tho' and we learned from the incident. As far as my say on the matters, I completely trust my husbands judgement and his abilities. He definately is not one to take (too)many chances

May 25, 2004
Hunter 376 Chesapeake, VA
Anchor...and slip

We perfer to anchor unless it's going to be a really hot and sticky night...then we opt for the slip and AC. At anchor we use a Fortress FX-23, 30 feet chain, 5/8" line for our Hunter 376.

R

Robert Garrett

either/or

We anchor in good weather and pull into a marina in iffy weather or if it is too hot. There are numerous inexpensive marinas along the Texas coast with 30 Amp service that drives the AC on those 80 degree 100% huminity nights. We usually drop a CQR with 20 feet of chain and 100 feet of three strand nylon rode. In the mud/sand we have yet to experience a problem. We had a 180 degree wing shift with winds up to 40 knots in early June without a problem. Just a rough ride in the dark.

J

Jim

Luv the mud

We overnite on Kentucky Lake and have never had a problem with the anchor. Our 34 Hunter is a great cabin on the lake.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
night time peace of mind

When Nancy and I do an overnighter we always anchor out, usually in a somewhat protected cove but if the weather promices to be gentle we will anchor in open water well away from the shipping channel and commercial fishing traffic. With a 35 pound CQR and 30 feet of 3/8 chain and a 5/8 nylon rode we have always stayed put even when the weatherman has lied to us. I marked my nylon rode with siezings in multiples of the chain length and never lay down less than a ten to one scope, that's not very much to haul up if I anchor in about ten feet at low tide. I would be hesitant to trust an abandoned mooring because I can't inspect to whole system. Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.