Tie downs when trailering?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
From just looking around at tons of Mac 25s for sale on-line, I've yet to see one on a trailer that has any kind of tie down installed to secure it to the trailer. isn't that an exorbitant amount of faith in the nose winch line? or am I just paranoid?

Cheers,
Russ

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
your not paranoid... its just that some people are careless. some think that because its a sailboat and doesnt have tie points at the rear of the boat, that its not required... but they're wrong.
the usual way of tying one on the trailer is to take a strap hooked to the rear of the trailer, over the gunnels and down to the trailer on the other side...
some go as far as tying the bow down in the same manner, but its unnecessary because its the rear of the boat that would be the most likely to leave the trailer...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The boat is held to the trailer by gravity. The winch line is only there to help guide the boat into position on the trailer, it is not strong enough to be considered an anchor point. Now the straps are safety devices to keep the boat attached to the trailer in case of an accident. To trailer without straps is dangerous and irresponsible. A well tied down boat can survive a fender bender while an untied boat may slide into the passenger's compartment of the tow vehicle. Feel lucky today?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I always use heavy duty tie-downs to secure my boat to the trailer when transporting her but remove them for storage to avoid sun and weather deterioration.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I always use heavy duty tie-downs to secure my boat to the trailer when transporting her but remove them for storage to avoid sun and weather deterioration.
:plus: I would think this the best way to go.
I'm thinking of getting some seat belt strap and making my own tie downs. it seems like most commercially available stuff is overpriced if it's good, and inferior quality if it's less expensive…. or maybe it's me that's cheep. ;)

Russ

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Wow Sumner. that IS a good deal. even comes in burgundy to match the boat ;) I just ordered one. thanks! :biggrin:

Russ

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Two, 10,000lb straps look pretty small against the 270. The keel stop will prevent it from going forward, the keel guides are equally up to the task of stopping it from moving sideways, and if it were to go seriously sideways, it would take the trailer with it.
IMG_0818a.JPG

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The strap of course BUT don't forget the 700# keel that is sitting in a grove in the trailer that the boat is cabled to is also holding it in place.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I never used to use a stern strap, but last week I had an experience that has changed my mind.

I had left the ramp all pleased with myself about how perfectly centered the boat was on the trailer. When I arrived home five hours later, the boat was at least 4" off center. The entire trip was on paved roads, 95% of which was interstate highway. Nothing occurred on the trip to give me an "oh sh*t" moment or any reason to suspect the 3300 lb boat had dramatically shifted. It just did.

So now I know. The boat can and does move around a LOT easier than I ever would have thought. I am now convinced that it would take only a minor accident to make it do something really bad.

From now on she gets strapped.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'm located in Michigan and I recently sold a Precision 23 to a couple from Florida. They were both engineers of some sort, and were both a bit on the OCD and weird side (who knows what they thought of me, eh?).

As much as they analyzed and fussed over stuff that didn't matter at all, they were perfectly content to haul the boat from Michigan to Florida without any tie-downs. Keel or no keel, I'd hate to think of the forces involved in an emergency maneuver at expressway speeds.

Although I was hoping to never hear from them again, a couple days after their departure they sent me a picture of the boat on it's trailer in front of their home. Where engineering fails, good luck triumphs.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I used a strap on the bow of the boat. it helps keep the boat from bouncing. (bass boat trick)

I tried a strap just aft of the cabin, but when it was tight it moved the rubrail. the stock mac trl isn't long enough to use stern straps.