Thru Hull -- do I really need it?

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I have a '72 Catalina 22 that I've had for just over a year. One of my projects last year before splashing was to replace the old gate valve for the thru-hull. I know Catalina Direct says to replace the bronze pipe going through the hull, but mine seemed stuck solidly and didn't want to budge. Time was tight and I really wanted to get in the water, so I replaced the valve and went with it. I also installed an automatic bilge-pump and routed it to a new thru-hull I installed in the transom above the waterline.

I spent the entire summer on a mooring ball and always had a little water in the bilge but could never find the leak. This year I resolved to find it. I was thinking it might have been the hold-down bolt for the keel, but now that I've climbed under the trailer and am looking up at the thru-hull for the scupper drains I can see that there is what looks like raw fiber glass between the end of the bronze nipple and the outside of the hull. Almost as if it's 1/8" short. And I know I should really replace it anyway, or just do away with it completely.

So. my question is do I really need it? It's not that I can't do the work, I've seen the videos on Youtube and built a couple of small wooden boats. I'm just not sure I really want to. I don't really want to drain the cockpit into the bilge, though my bilge-pump does work well. And it's a '72 so the cockpit slopes forward and would never really empty if I put a scupper on the stern. The output of the bilge-pump is too high to let gravity do the work. So if I eliminate it, I need to find a solution to get the water out of the cockpit, especially if it's sitting on a mooring ball.

Does anyone have any ideas I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
What's the thru hull for? Galley sink drain? Cockpit drain? ??

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
The 2 forward scuppers in the cockpit and the galley sink, though I never use the sink.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Pretty essential to have a swiftly draining cockpit… and if they are located fwd then that’s probably the direction standing water would go, esp no one is on board.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
A few owners have revamped the cockpits of older boats to slope aft (I believe the new design already slopes aft?) A few of us have replaced the standard drain with a real through-hull. But neither of those options are quick and easy.

FWIW: We get a little rainwater through the companionway drop boards, and a it will drip down into the bilge. I don't know what your drop boards are like, but if we were on a mooring ball, I know I'd need to do something about that.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
This on my to do list for my 74 C22. I plan on replacing the threaded pipe with a real thruhull for the cockpit drains and the sink. my valve on the current pipe is corroded solid to probably the original valve. I would not let the cockpit drain into the bilge and rely on a bilge pump to remove the water. Rain can build up pretty fast and moisture issues and mold may become a problem. Just my thoughts. Good luck Dano

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
This on my to do list for my 74 C22. I plan on replacing the threaded pipe with a real thruhull for the cockpit drains and the sink. my valve on the current pipe is corroded solid to probably the original valve. I would not let the cockpit drain into the bilge and rely on a bilge pump to remove the water. Rain can build up pretty fast and moisture issues and mold may become a problem. Just my thoughts. Good luck Dano
FYI: @Maine Sail's instructions are great. Worth reading several times while you plan this project. He recommended Groco bronze hardware, and I was very happy with their products. As I mentioned in my little writeup (linked above), I used 3/4", and I have no idea why I didn't up-size to 1" or 1-1/4". The price difference would have been minimal; I probably just didn't think of it.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
I decided to replace it -- but I'm starting another thread because it's proving troublesome......