three holes under the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
what are the three holes under the water line on my boat? two are on the port side and one is on the starboard. 1981 Lancer T-used to have an inboard. I am painting the boat and would like to update the electronics before I put her back in the water but would like to keep the boat as original as possible. I believe one is a depth gage, maybe a intake for water to the engine and maybe fish finder? These holes look like they are all original and I have yet to get under the bulkheads and search for the electronics. help

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Not knowing the exact layout of the 28 but looking at a basic layout plan, I can see that one of the "holes" may be drainage for the galley sink, or commonly referred to "sea discharge valve". That might be starboard aft. But it looks like you have a head sink, which might also drain to sea (port forward). I don't think you have a waste discharge valve, but it might be possible.

If you have a depth sounder, then that could also be one of the "holes". Mine (Lancer 27PS) is located aft of the keel, starboard side.

You could also have a knot meter wheel if you have that feature on your boat, but maybe the wheel is broken off. Mine is located directly in front of the keel.

I would recommend as you said to do a survey of your plumbing in the boat. See if you have any discharge valves.

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
I do have a galley sink-aka-the sink that is located right in the main cabin, across from the stove? I do have an another sink located in the front of the boat that is in the same area as the extra small bed/storage.

Discharge valve? It is possible to drain the sink to the water while the boat is in the water? I always wondered where the sink drain went to and it is amazing to think that as I pump the facet and do things like wash my hands or wash off some fruit the water that drains goes right to the water? I think after reading you post I do have the port and starboard side discharge for the forward and rear sinks I have.

I cant remember what instrument I have(will look) that is located outside the cabin facing the aft of the boat located where they put the instruments. I believe it was a Depth gauge because all these holes are through hole types, where I could stick my finger in it which makes me think, discharge and depth.

If I do have discharge valves what would they look like? Typical close/open levers that you can manually discharge? I do have that type of plumbing located under the galley sink but it is used to drain the built in cooler that is located right next to the sink connecting the entire storage area/CB/Radio Area. I can literally pump the water out of the cooler/whatever you call that through the facet and drain through the galley sink and rid of the water, which I think is right?

I will do some surveying. Talk to you soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.