This is what happens when.......

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
What happens if you don't go sailing enough?
After raising the mast the (new this year) topping lift cable somehow goes over the top to the windex arm. Causing you to lower the mast and try again.
After raising the mast again and attempt the connect the forward lower stays you notice the rear and main stays are looking different under the boots.

After inspection you realize you've bent not 1 but 3 tee-bolts.

It was a nice trip after that though.......

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
you're not alone, & don't lose any sleep over it!....I did a few stupids last week on maiden sail....uh, raise main b4 putting keel down, dumb!!! raise main b4 releasing boom from pigtail, yikes!! we also survived and enjoyed...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If I remember correctly, someone here had a simple way to keep that from happening (bending the bolts).
My idea was using short tubes that are "just" long enough to keep the turnbuckles vertical. Maybe 4" long.
(i'm not a fan of using the usual taller tubes on a trailerable boat, that is in/out of the water.)

Of course the best solution is to go sailing more... :D

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
If I remember correctly, someone here had a simple way to keep that from happening (bending the bolts).
@CaptDon01 simply tied a short length of rope through the turnbuckle somehow. He posted a pic, but I don't quite remember how it worked. After bending a few of my own, my method is pay attention. Just assume every turnbuckle will try to bend itself, every time. 'Cuz they will.

"Sails up, keel down. Keel up, sails down." Repeat this 10,000 times. If you're like me, it still won't take root though. Thank goodness my wife and I have one good brain between us. I even tried putting a bright red sticker on the the outboard, just above the pull rope, that said "KEEL!" in the hopes that it would remind me to raise/lower the keel when starting/stopping the motor. That didn't work either.

I have no method for remembering to release the pigtail. But, after you try to sheet out in a puff and nothing happens, except the windows suddenly get submerged and a mysterious brown stain appears on the back of your shorts, you will start remembering. Actually this has to happen several times, if you're me.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I need to take the usless pvc boots off them

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Lightly tape your shrouds to the lifelines with some e-tape. It will hold the turnbuckles up and pull out when the shroud goes taut.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
note to self for tomorrow = cord on turnbuckles, red sticker on outboard, orange cord hanging from pigtail...at least gives me a chance to avoid stupids...

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
A very interesting thread with some obviously hard earned pearls of wisdom freely being shared!

Just one thing... Lots of comments about keel down! My question is (remember I have actually never sailed a trailer sailer lifting keel boat before - dinghies and larger fixed keel keel boats yes):

Why must you put keel up and down related to motor using? Is this just purely drag related?

Ok it's two questions now!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Why must you put keel up and down related to motor using? Is this just purely drag related?
Actually, you don't.

But, speaking for myself only ... whenever I'm starting the motor, it generally means I've just dropped the sails and am heading toward shallow water. Conversely, when I turn the motor off, it usually means the sails are about to go up.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Actually, you don't.

But, speaking for myself only ... whenever I'm starting the motor, it generally means I've just dropped the sails and am heading toward shallow water. Conversely, when I turn the motor off, it usually means the sails are about to go up.
+1, that's my thought process, (when I'm thinking)!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
What we often forget is that the swing keeled C-22 was designed to make the boat easier to trailer. When the keel is lowered, it's side to side motion is greatly limited, boat stability is increased, and the support from the keel trunk decreases wear of the swing keel assembly. When the keel is raised, the keel hangs below the boat and you lose the support of the keel trunk, and you increase the wear on the swing keel pivot assembly. Should you have a failure of the keel lifting cable, or a malfunction with the keel winch, you also risk catastrophic damage when the keel comes down freely.

Don