• On September 1st, Maine Sail suffered a major hemorrhagic stroke. One of the most generous members of our sailing community, he has helped thousands. Now it's our turn. Click here to learn more

The Greatest Sailor I Have Known

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Sounds like a really great guy and a great dad. I did the Outward Bound course on Hurricane Island in the summer of 1982. That photo of the boats brings it all back. Was your dad there then?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Will, thanks for sharing the story of you father's life. It sound like he was a wonderful man, sailor and father.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Very well said, I am so sorry for your loss. Somehow the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I am sure he was equally proud of you. What amazing and beautiful memories you will carry. thank you for sharing.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
So sorry for your loss Will. having lost my own mother, father and wife, all in the past 4 years, I feel your pain. what a great tribute you wrote there, and it sounds like a life very well lived, and the love of it passed on to you and your family. he remains with you for sure.
190696018_10220569592972319_7210944725895609_n.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sounds like a really great guy and a great dad. I did the Outward Bound course on Hurricane Island in the summer of 1982. That photo of the boats brings it all back. Was your dad there then?
No, we were on Hurricane Island in the Summer of '76, when I was 13. I was under the age limit for their junior courses, but they let me enroll because of my father's assurance that I could handle it. I was the only one aboard who could navigate, of course, so instead of doing the "Captain" rotation as usual, I was the official captain for the entire trip. Kind of funny that the youngest aboard ended up leading the group of 14 to 16 year Olds.

-Will

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Your wonderful post made me wish I had met your dad. I'm sure I could have learned a lot from him. It sounds like he left without any regrets for the things he didn't do. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Will, so sorry for your loss. It looks like your dad really knew how to "live his dash".

Quoted from one of many poems about "the dash"

"So when your eulogy is being read, with your life’s actions to rehash, would you be proud of the things they say about how you lived your dash?"

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Now on the Chesapeake
Will,

I've just seen your post about your dad. My sincerest condolences.

No matter how much you know it's coming, it's never easy when it arrives. I lost my dad a couple years ago and my mom this year. It's a life changing event.

Here's a poem I like:

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep by Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.

dj

Jun 16, 2020
Hinckley Sou’wester 30 Falmouth ME
Great tribute Will. I feel like perhaps I do know him a little now….

May God bless your family during this time.

Chris Waaler

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I loved reading your tribute, Will! Think of how much joy there is in living. That is obviously what your dad taught you. He lives on, not here, but he still lives.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Thank you for sharing the tribute and story of your remarkable father. Those are such great memories to have of a man and a father who lived life well. You have my sincerest condolences.