The C-22 Community Mourns the loss of Beattie Purcell

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Just received some sad news. Beattie Purcell has passed away. For some of you that are not familiar with the history of the C-22, Beattie worked for Frank Butler right from the beginning in the early years of Catalina Yachts. When the demand for the C-22 became so great, Frank sent Beattie east to find another location to build the C-22 to try and keep up with the demand. For years the C-22 was being manufactured in Woodland Hills California, and in the factory Beatie set up in Ft Walton Beach Florida, and then later in Largo Florida with the purchase of Morgan Yachts. I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Beattie at the Ft Walton Yacht Club when I was first nominated as the C-22 Association Commodore in 2013. The sailing world, and even more specifically, the C-22 community has lost a true icon. More information will be forthcoming as we get the word.

If you haven't already, read the history of the C-22 on the C-22 National Association web site. You'll see what a instrumental gentleman Mr. Purcell was to Catalina Yachts, and the C-22.

R.I.P. Beattie Purcell..........
Don

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
I grew up in the LA area, but spent many summers waterskiing on a little lake just below Sequoia National Park, called Lake Kaweah. In the mid-70's one of my older cousins showed up at the lake with a Coronado 15. I'd never been on a sailboat. He took my sister and me out and I fell in love with sailing as soon as a decent breeze began to move the boat. I was truly amazed at that experience. Moving silently along by power of wind alone.
Lake Kaweah isn't known for it's wind and my cousin didn't have his Coronado long. It may have been the very next season that he bought a 16' Tahiti ski boat with an I/O drive.
I've been on a few sailboats since then, but the feeling of that first experience has always stayed with me.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
While I never had the privilege of meeting the man I sure appreciate the legacy he leaves behind. Catalina in its early years fundamentally changed boat production processes forever. I am sure Beattie Purcell was proud to be a part of it or he would not have weathered all the storms with the company over the years. The world needs more men like him that will weather the storms and more companies like Catalina that so appreciate the contributions of their workers. While Beattie has passed on his legacy remains and my thoughts and prayers are with thoes friends and family he has left behind. Thank you for posting Don.