teak deck cleaning recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to clean the teak decks. The decks have not been cleaned in many years and in great need of a good cleaning. I've heard recommendations from pressure washers on low power to bleach diluted with water, pine sole, etc. I don't want to mess it up...I'm sure there is a beautiful deck underneath the years of dirt.

thank you in advance for your suggestions

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Six days shalt thou labor and do all that thou art able and on the seventh day thou shalt holystone thy decks and splice thy cables. Decks need to be cleaned every week. start now with gentle scrubbing and in a while they will look fine.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
use sea water and 3m scrub pad...

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I have used Interlux's Teak restorer. It is a one part teak cleaner that seems to work fine and is less aggressive than two part cleaners. Use a stiff brush.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Thank you for all your replies. I'm going to start with sea water and have a little fun with a scrub pad (or several of them). Sounds like an exciting weekend ahead for me.

Apr 3, 2010
Beneteau 411 Celebration and 260 Shotley and Punta Gorda
Scrub lightly across the grain with seawater, frequently.

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
No chemicals - No scrubbing

Use a sponge, and some Comet cleanser. No chemicals whatsoever, no hard scrubbing in any direction. First, thoroughly soak the teak with water, and wash with boat soap. Rinse very thoroughly. Then, sprinkle Comet on a section of teak, and a little on the sponge. Wash the teak with the grain (as much as possible) using just the sponge. Rinse, and rinse again - until the rinse water is clean / clear.

No scrubbing - with, or across the grain of the teak. Keep the sponge clean.

Repeat this procedure the next day if you can (or as soon as you can). The grey will eventually lift, and the rinse water will run clear. The teak will turn from grey, to grey-brown, and eventually to brown-grey.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to clean the teak decks. The decks have not been cleaned in many years and in great need of a good cleaning. I've heard recommendations from pressure washers on low power to bleach diluted with water, pine sole, etc. I don't want to mess it up...I'm sure there is a beautiful deck underneath the years of dirt.

thank you in advance for your suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.