teak and holly sole

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrick e. boole

on my catalina 30 1987 i have the white fiberglass floor. i am wondering if anyone makes a kit to veneer the floor with teak and holly. i have this touch on my cat. 27 and love the look.

B

Brad Elbein

Teak and holly hell

The guy who owned my boat before me installed a teak and holly sole. I love the way it looks--between discolored portions where water leaked into the boat and rotted it out. I wouldn't have it in a boat again, at least not until I had enough money to have someone come in weekly on my (this is a fantasy, you understand) new 35 foot wood pilot cutter to have somebody do the maintenance. I know this is probably just immature, but I'd rather spend my limited time sailing actually sailing, not finishing and refinishing all the wood. The best solution I've seen to the fiberglass sole problem is that of a guy whose boat I almost bought: he cut out two identical pieces of carpet that fit the entire sole, stem to stern. When one gets dirty, he replaces it with the other and gets the first cleaned. It doesn't look as good as teak and holly, but it's a lot easier to deal with. If it gets wet and ruined, you just throw it away. I, on the other hand (back to reality, now), am going to be spending weeks on my hands and knees with a crow bar trying to pry up my beautiful teak and holly sole while the ret of you are out sailing... --Brad Elbein C30 "Nessie"

C

chris

teak & holly Sole

We have a cat 30 (1981)- the original owner put down the teak and holly sole only in the galley area and around the nav station. it looks beautiful and we have never had a problem with it. About 4-5 times a year I just clean it with some warm soapy water with a damp towel and follow up with teak oil. I am not sure where it was purchased or installed. You might want to check with Catalina in So. Cal. they might be able to help you.

S

Stan Rogacevicz srogacev@holycross.edu

Teak and Holly Heaven

I had a professional who used to work for Bristol Yachts in Rhode Island custom make a teak and holly sole for my '96 c28mkII. He of course sealed the underside before screwing it down and I put 2 coats of varnish on it 2 1/2 years ago and it still looks beautiful now. No maintenance except for cleaning up spills or track-ins of whatever. It cost me $2600 but it looks much better than the stock teak and holly Catalina puts on the larger models including the c320 I am in the paperwork phase of buying now. Unless the boat sits underwater for a while I think it will still look great 5 or 10 years from now. Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.