Tattoo

Jun 29, 2013
Mac C 1990 26 az
Hi, all I was wondering has anyone has any news about this new start-up. They were to post photos of their new M boat last month, but I could not find it. I hope things are on track for them.
Runner

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
Tattoo, schmattoo! What the Heck! I can't believe noone else has any questions about this. Is it a Mac or not? Sure as heck looks like the 26M.
These are Roger Macgregors children, are they not. Is the California plant shutting down never to make the Mac 26m anymore?

Dazed, confused, blindsided.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
before now it was just a website, and rumor...

who's going to Annapolis boat show?

and no its not a macgregor. legally. but sure looks familiar.

22' looks interesting

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Tattoo, schmattoo! What the Heck! I can't believe noone else has any questions about this. Is it a Mac or not? Sure as heck looks like the 26M.
These are Roger Macgregors children, are they not. Is the California plant shutting down never to make the Mac 26m anymore?

Dazed, confused, blindsided.
'Read all about it as it unfolded on the World' back in January 2013
http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21408

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
In the Dark!

'Read all about it as it unfolded on the World' back in January 2013
http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21408
I check out this site at least on a weekly basis. Sometimes more often, and when I get an email from the site. Now I just finished reading every entry on the above site and can't recall it ever being mentioned here before. I have added the macgregorsailors forum to my favorites list.
I like the look of the new Tattoo 26 every bit as much as 26M. In fact I favor the new interior color over the existing Mac interior. And goody, the new plant is ony an hours drive away from me. If I decide to but a new boat, maybe I can avoid the destination charge by picing it up at the plant, if they sell without forcing me to use a Dealer.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Guys, it's pretty obvious that the Macgregors will be sold as "Tattoos" but these are the same MacGregors. One passed me on Friday doing about 12kts under power into an 18 kts wind. Sweet.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Guys, it's pretty obviouous that the Macgregors will be sold as "Tattoos" but these are the same MacGregors. One passed me on Friday doing about 12kts under power into an 18 kts wind. Sweet.
Sounds like a MacGregor. Powering in perfectly good wind.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Jun 17, 2009
Macgregor 25 Canton
I suspect that the name change has more to do with liability issues than anything else. If they had moved the old Macgregor plant to Florida and kept the name, they would still be on the hook for any legal issues that crop up with any of the tens of thousands of boats Macgregor has sold over the past forty-something years (like the idiot who packed 12 people into his M26, without filling the ballast tank, and managed to drown two of his passengers).

This way, the kids can make a clean start while selling an already popular product to an existing market. It's business school basics and it makes a lot of sense for everyone.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I suspect that the name change has more to do with liability issues than anything else. If they had moved the old Macgregor plant to Florida and kept the name, they would still be on the hook for any legal issues that crop up with any of the tens of thousands of boats Macgregor has sold over the past forty-something years (like the idiot who packed 12 people into his M26, without filling the ballast tank, and managed to drown two of his passengers).

This way, the kids can make a clean start while selling an already popular product to an existing market. It's business school basics and it makes a lot of sense for everyone.
OK, but why did they sell their entire stock of spare parts to BWY???

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Jun 17, 2009
Macgregor 25 Canton
OK, but why did they sell their entire stock of spare parts to BWY???
The furniture retailing company I used to be a partner in once purchased the factory of a furniture manufacturer we did a lot of business with so that we could continue to sell their product in our stores. We made subtle changes to the design and marketed it under our own name and did everything necessary to ensure that we had no responsibility for the previous manufacturer's product line. The last thing we wanted to do was to be responsible for supplying replacement parts to the defunct company's former customers. I suspect Tattoo has the same lack of interest in becoming a parts supplier for the M26 line, thus the sale of existing parts to a third party who is better equipped to deal with the hassle.

Make no mistake...Tattoo will not be Macgregor 2.0. Macgregor is legally out of business. Anything Tattoo does as far as support for Macgregor boats will be voluntary and based solely upon what is best for Tattoo Yachts overall business model.

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
I agree - it's legal separation. They have to be very careful not to be liable for any Macgregor legal issues.

The furniture retailing company I used to be a partner in once purchased the factory of a furniture manufacturer we did a lot of business with so that we could continue to sell their product in our stores. We made subtle changes to the design and marketed it under our own name and did everything necessary to ensure that we had no responsibility for the previous manufacturer's product line. The last thing we wanted to do was to be responsible for supplying replacement parts to the defunct company's former customers. I suspect Tattoo has the same lack of interest in becoming a parts supplier for the M26 line, thus the sale of existing parts to a third party who is better equipped to deal with the hassle.

Make no mistake...Tattoo will not be Macgregor 2.0. Macgregor is legally out of business. Anything Tattoo does as far as support for Macgregor boats will be voluntary and based solely upon what is best for Tattoo Yachts overall business model.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

Except for existing customers.

Ask a Hunter owner how things are when dealing with 'the company'. About the same as O'day support.

Jul 6, 2013
Macgregor 26X Alum Creek Sailing Marina
Tattoo says they are at 50 and counting and they do provice support for Macs when they can. Friend got replacement keel for his M model from them. Good luck Tattoo!