Tale of the tape: Let the rigging begin:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Destructive Test ? Success.... Not that I wanted to start over on 4 stays, but might as well prove out the concept.

Can you really locktite up the fittings and then break into them again and re-use the very expensive hardware? Yes,,, yes you can.

I was able to brute force the fittings apart with the same tools I set them with-- the cone was a bugger going on and it came off about the same-- lot's of rolling back and forth, applying light pressure. I ordered replacement cones just in case-- but if you don't crush them ( they look fine) then 100% reusable. The spares go into the rigging kit.

Only gotcha moment was now that I was waaaay to liberal with the locktite-- how do I get that off the tiny threads? brake kleen--carb cleaner is apparently the winner. You can see the solvent taking on the pink already after a few minutes soak. 100' of new wire on the porch -- time to make up the replacement stays and try again this weekend.

Thankfully wire is .48 cents a foot-- fittings you only want to buy once-- investment in my ongoing rigging education: priceless.

IMG_2567.jpg

Jul 13, 2015
Success!

Tedious perhaps-- but very happy with the new rig. combination of events-- i was able to get everything in the air-- and a complete measure and tune followed by a splash date over the long weekend. Really glad I went through all this-- great education and very satisfying to know I can whip out a stay at a moments notice and re-rig the entire boat in no time flat ( got waaaay too much practice :) )

Some interesting notes: My previously noted non standard backstay chainplates-- right connections, wrong angle. Easy fix that I will apply shortly is to bend these out to 30 degrees. If the existing don't want to play nicely Schaeffer makes them pre bent. Cannot overemphasize how much I enjoy the new adjustable backstay-- so much better for access while sailing/motoring, improves ease of mast raising relative to forestay tension-- really better than I had hoped for and we haven't even begun talking about performance under sail yet.

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

this was just prior to the last tweak and or/my camera was off center a bit-- but in column and tensioned to spec with my new (worth it!) updated loos gauge-- the hands free is brilliant-- simple pleasures.

And despite the horror of this pic-- my mast has never in this boats life with me sat so square and appropriately on the mast base. It has been the bane of my existence for some time..... hence why the mast plate looks a mess-- I refused to set it permanently until we had the rig set.... now I can fix it properly.

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
what was your final solution to the 1/4 eye but larger hole on the spreader bracket. I am redoing the lowers with Stalok fittings and will have a similar issue

Jul 13, 2015
what was your final solution to the 1/4 eye but larger hole on the spreader bracket. I am redoing the lowers with Stalok fittings and will have a similar issue

Procrastination ?! I actually ran it all season that way-- watched it often (I drop the mast every trip) so far so good. After mulling it all season I've decided the right answer is to get /fabricate new brackets with the appropriate diameter hole. I haven't dug deep enough yet to see if that's a thing online or I have to get creative.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Procrastination ?! I actually ran it all season that way-- watched it often (I drop the mast every trip) so far so good. After mulling it all season I've decided the right answer is to get /fabricate new brackets with the appropriate diameter hole. I haven't dug deep enough yet to see if that's a thing online or I have to get creative.
I wonder if McMaster has. Stainless bushing....... I will have to look