Switching to furler from hanked on 110 jib

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
When I switch to a roller furler will I still be able to use the two lines I have on my current 110 Jib which I have led back to the cockpit?
Thanks
Richie

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
When I switch to a roller furler will I still be able to use the two lines I have on my current 110 Jib which I have led back to the cockpit?
Thanks
Richie
I'm guessing you mean "sheets"?
They'll need to be long enough to secure them in the cockpit when the sail's rolled up.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I'm going out on a limb and say NO.. If your sheets are currently sized for a 110 hank on they are most likely only long enough to allow for a broad reach. And while the windward sheet on a reach will need to be long, it still isn't long enough to run from the headstay to the cockpit with sufficient amount to cleat off.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why not measure? And without knowing how long the ones you have now actually are, no one should be able to answer your question. Good luck.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The length of our furled 110 sheets is long enough to:

- wrap around the furled sail 3-4 times to keep it secure in high winds, and to
- lead back through the fairleads to their cleats on the cockpit coaming with enough slack to get them around their winches three times before unfurling the sail.

Oct 4, 2010
The length of our furled 110 sheets is long enough to:

- wrap around the furled sail 3-4 times to keep it secure in high winds, and to
- lead back through the fairleads to their cleats on the cockpit coaming with enough slack to get them around their winches three times before unfurling the sail.
I will measure mine today. Do you happen to know the length of your sheets David

Oct 4, 2010
Why not measure? And without knowing how long the ones you have now actually are, no one should be able to answer your question. Good luck.
So my sheets are 27’ 9” in length. I have two sheets attached at the clew and led back to the cockpit. Would these be long enough to use with a new CDI roller furler. Also would it be better to use just one sheet instead of two.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
So my sheets are 27’ 9” in length. I have two sheets attached at the tack and led back to the cockpit. Would these be long enough to use with a newCDI roller furler. Also would it be better to use just one sheet instead of two.
Based on my experience, if the sheets were long enough for the hanked on sail, they will be more than plenty long enough for wrapping around the furled jib,, assuming the it’s close to the same size headsail. It was never a problem for any of my customers.

Please Always remember to tie a sail tie around the furled jib when you leave the boat, or anchor. Don’t rely on the extra wraps when you’re not there to keep an eye on it.

Judy B
Retired sailmaker

Oct 4, 2010
Please Always remember to tie a sail tie around the furled jib when you leave the boat, or anchor. Don’t rely on the extra wraps when you’re not there to keep an eye on it.

Judy B
Retired sailmaker
Sounds like good advise Judy.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't guess, or ask around... just measure it your self. Take the old sheet and hold it up to the place on the forestay you think it will attach.. add a foot or two for wrapping...and see if there's still enough in the cockpit for your needs.

BTW, using two sheets instead of a long, continuous one will allow you to rotate and flip them occasionally to prolong their condition and appearance.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
So my sheets are 27’ 9” in length. I have two sheets attached at the clew and led back to the cockpit. Would these be long enough to use with a new CDI roller furler. Also would it be better to use just one sheet instead of two.
@Richie50 ,

The boat length is 22'. Just looking at the position of the winches tells you that they are about 17-18 feet from the bow. The sheets you have are about 10 feet longer than that. I estimate you'll need an additional 3 feet to make 3 wraps around the furled jib, plus approx 2 feet to go around the winch once and to the cleat. That's about 22-23 feet for furling.

Below is a scaled drawing you can use to estimate the length needed to furl. It measures 16.74 feet from the clew of the furled jib to the middle of the track to the winch. add 5 feet for wraps around the sail and winch, and the total length comes to 21.74 feet. That's not as accurate as measuring the boat, but it's sufficiently accurate to say "yes, your two sheets are long enough to use with a new CDI roller furler"

You don't need to buy new sheets if you were happy with the old ones. At 27.75' they will be long enough.

C 22 Sail Plan-FURLING SHEET LENGTH.jpg

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
@Richie50 ,

The boat length is 22'. Just looking at the position of the winches tells you that they are about 17-18 feet from the bow. The sheets you have are about 10 feet longer than that. I estimate you'll need an additional 3 feet to make 3 wraps around the furled jib, plus approx 2 feet to go around the winch once and to the cleat. That's about 22-23 feet for furling.

Below is a scaled drawing you can use to estimate the length needed to furl. It measures 16.74 feet from the clew of the furled jib to the middle of the track to the winch. add 5 feet for wraps around the sail and winch, and the total length comes to 21.74 feet. That's not as accurate as measuring the boat, but it's sufficiently accurate to say "yes, your two sheets are long enough to use with a new CDI roller furler"

You don't need to buy new sheets if you were happy with the old ones. At 27.75' they will be long enough.

View attachment 174842
Wow... very nice and scientific reply. Certainly like the approach and works for me too!

I must say that changing to a roller furler is a heck of an improvement in terms of just packing the boat up after a day sail. All very worth the cost and hassles to do it!