Swing keel versus dagger keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2010
macgregor 26X in my dreams
(Just to be upfront, I lied....I don't own a sailboat yet.....but soon!)
We are looking for a newer 26X, and have had a dissapointing 'chase' , always seem to be one step behind the buyer.
We are located at the Fishing Island on east side of Lake Huron. I have decided that the swing keel is a necessity because we have very shallow and hazardous waters here.
Question 1.
Does the keel need to be cleated down when underway with the 26X?
Question 2.
Has anyone experienced hitting the keel while underway....how extensive was the damage...is it limited to the swing keel only or could it extend to the hull?
Question 3.
Am I correct in assuming 26M is not as forgiving if the keel hits while underway....and would the damage be restricted to the daggerboard or would it extend to the hull opening as well?
Question 4?
Anyone near east side of Lake Huron know where there is a 26X for sale?...or 26M, depending on answer to above?

Any input is appreciated...I know many conditions can pevail however your experience handed down is always valuable.
Thanks
John (the guy paranoid of skinny water!)

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
So, what I think I know about Swing Keels:
1. They have to be cranked up and down from inside the cabin. Once down they have to be pinned or you might turtle if you get knocked down.
2. The cable can and will break or jam.
3. They have been known to fall off.

I have a 1988 Mac 26D with a Dagger Board and water ballest.
1. Not supposed to turtle with the DB up, but I wouldn't even try sailing with it up, down wind.
2. I can raise and lower it from the helm a little or a lot by pulling on a line.
3. Drop the sails, raise the board and drive her up on the sand.

Not sure what happens it you hit something while underway. I hope it would pop up then return down.

Members will correct me if I am not correct.

Bob

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
So, what I think I know about Swing Keels:
1. They have to be cranked up and down from inside the cabin. Once down they have to be pinned or you might turtle if you get knocked down.
2. The cable can and will break or jam.
3. They have been known to fall off...
Hi Bob, those comments don't apply to the 26S or I believe 26X as their keels don't have the boats righting weight in them.

We have sailed often with the centerboard up on our S and were even trying to tack before we remembered it was still up. You can do the same as your board in the D doesn't provide much of a righting moment, you water ballast does that.

We usually pull the board up on anchorage in case we swing into a shallow area or are already in one. That is why we forget to lower it in the morning when we leave :redface::cry:.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
The term swing keel refers to the heavy cast iron style not found on water ballasted boats, in which case Bob's description applies.

But you said you are interested in a 26X, which has a swing centerboard, not cast iron, you can sail with it up (downwind). It will lift up if you hit something, causing little to no damage. You do not pin it down. The cast iron swing keels get pinned down.

The swing centerboard on a 26X is light weight, no winch, the control cable or line is not prone to jamming, or falling off. Even if it did you'd still be able to sail, not well, but you still have all your water ballast.

Hitting something with a dagger board, is another matter, severe damage could occur to both the dagger board and the trunk. Though I have heard stories of people hitting stuff with a dagger board model and not much damage occured. I'm not sure about that! If a large solid object like a log or rock is hit going say 4-5 knots, I can't see how damage would not occur.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
I yeald to the one's that know.

I have left the docks with the DB up and wandered all over until I figure out what's missing. i hope that I never hit anything with the DB.

Thanks for the information.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.....I have left the docks with the DB up and wandered all over until I figure out what's missing......
We have done the same, time and again :redface: :cry: :redface:!!

We usually figure it out if we start the outboard as it is really hard to go in a straight line on the outboard without the center board down some. Other times we are sailing just fine and start tacking for a while. I'll think we are getting somewhere as we are really moving, but then I notice we don't seem to be moving down the lake as we are slipping sideways.

We made a big sign to go across the hatchway out of duct tape, but we seem to even miss that sometimes :cry:.

Probably a good thing we have a water ballast boat. If we had a swing keel and had forgot to put it down all of these times we probably would of got knocked down at some point :).

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

May 1, 2010
macgregor 26X in my dreams
Thanks for the insight folks.
Glad to say we have finally got our own 26X.
Had to drive 2000km to get her but it was worth it. She is in exceptional condition (still shiny) and been well taken care of since when she was born in year 2000.
Now the learning begins!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.