Swing Keel Dimensions

Eleven

Feb 4, 2021
. . St Louis
Dear friends,

My Beneteau 311 has lost its swing keel. The factory doesn't have a replacement nor actual drawings.
Noticed the C22 swing keel is similar in dimensions and weight so that could be a repair option. Have found the drawing below so I can build a template but need to know how thick the C22 swing keel is at its thickest part.
If it works I'll attempt to find a C22 keel from someone.
If you are wondering how this would be possible, have attached a picture when the boat still had the swing keel part.

Thank you so much.
Tony

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Contact Catalina Direct they can give you specs on item they have in stock

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I can tell you the body of the C22 keel has to fit into a 1.5" wide slot in the up position-- the bulbous "foot" is a funny piece of the mold that doesn't follow the foil very well, but at least the top chord 2- 3" of the keel in the retracted position has to fit in the 1.5" keel slot. Couple of pics -- the original on the day I dropped it: you can see the rust line that delineates what has to retract vs. what can flair to foil shape. Also tossed in the foil itself-- the idealized version, but it shows max thickness.

Slight edit-- the slot is a smidge more generous than 1.5" but that's what I kept the keel to -- and it is very snug (1/8") on brackets shown in pic 1
File_002 (7).jpeg image4.JPG

Attachments

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Neglected to mention the original mechanical drawing you pulled is actually pretty darn accurate-- I used it for all my measurements (at least in 2D) and found mine to be quite close to +/_ indicated.