Surprise!! Grohe Faucet washer failure

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
So I'm sitting at the Nav station reading my emails and suddenly the hot water at the galley begins streaming out full blast! Thankfully I was close and could shut off the water pump before I lost a whole tank of water.
I had replaced the washer this spring with a standard 3/8 washer because on our last summer in 2019 I could not get the faucet to stop dripping.
The washer pushes over a barbed post rather than a screw fastener, and upon disassembly I found the washer to be split.
While trying to fit a new washer with some liquid soap lube, I was having great difficulty and after struggling with it I noticed that a small cut was appearing in the washer. Maybe Grohe uses a washer with a slightly larger hole than American standard sizes.
So I filed the edge of the barb making it smaller. It only has to retain the washer when the faucet is opened and water pressure tends to press the washer on the valve, so I think I am good.
Anyway the point is that if anyone needs to replace their washer, 3/8 is the closest size and you need to be very careful that the new washer is not damaged in the process.

20210620_093914.jpg

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
If that is the same ceramic cartridge I have in my galley, I was able to stop a drip by soaking it in CLR for about an hour and then using some McLube on the valve. Same in the head, although they are a different valve (as I know you know). I replaced all the valves about ten years ago.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Common failure by over tightening to stop a drip.

I was able to stop a drip by soaking it in CLR for about an hour and then using some McLube on the valve
This is good to do.
Also lube and rotated the washer, in place.
Jim...

PS: I had to train the Admiral.