Stuffing/packbox leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2012
Islander 36 Houston
I have recently purchased a 1982 36' Islander and found that the stuffing box has a recurring leak. I believe this may be related to galvanic corrosion on the shaft and I now plan to replace the shaft, cutlass bearing and prop. Any thoughts on where to get the parts, best process or ideas to enhance the outcome of this process?

I have also just replaced the chainplates, standing riggings, furler, performed maintainance on all sailes and replaced most lines. I want a safe boat between my feet and the water.

Thank you!

Captain G

Jun 1, 2004
Macgregor 25 Middle River MD
Have you tried to replace the packing? Go to West Marine and get the right size packing for your shaft size and repack the nut. You may be able to take up a turn or two on the nut if the packing is still good.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Your box may be leaking because the box was tightened too much and scored the shaft. Simplest way to find out is to back off the box and take a look. Your best bet for new stuffing is Ultra X, read this:

Repacking a Stuffing Box 101 - by Maine Sail: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=775788&highlight=stuffing box

And, yes, you can do it in the water without sinking your boat. I have never done mine on the hard, it needs to get wet to work anyway.

Jun 18, 2012
Islander 36 Houston
It has been tightened a couple of times and the mechanic suggested that possible corrosion on the shaft under the package may be damaging the packing as the shaft turns. I am not certain the mechanic tightened it enough, though I had it tightened enough this weekend to leave about 6 to 8 drips a minute.

Jun 18, 2012
Islander 36 Houston
I have not tried to replace the packing yet. What is the best process while the boat is in the water?

Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
It has been tightened a couple of times and the mechanic suggested that possible corrosion on the shaft under the package may be damaging the packing as the shaft turns.
As mentioned earlier: That's easy to determine: Just back off the nut and look.

I am not certain the mechanic tightened it enough, though I had it tightened enough this weekend to leave about 6 to 8 drips a minute.
Be careful! If the stuffing material has had it and you over-tighten, you'll score the shaft and then you will have trouble.

I have not tried to replace the packing yet. What is the best process while the boat is in the water?
I've never tried this, but I'm told it works: Buy a bicycle inner tube and cut yourself a big piece you can use to make a "tourniquet." When you back the nut off, wrap the rubber bandage around the shaft and where the packing nut screws on a couple times and tie it. Re-stuff the packing nut, remove the tourniquet, screw the packing nut back on, and Bob's your uncle.

Yes, some water will get in the boat.

For packing material, spend a few bucks more and get either Gore GTU or Gore GFO. You'll have to measure your prop shaft diameter to determine the correct size.

Good luck!

Jim

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
While most people with experience repacking the gland with the boat in the water will tell you how "easy" it is, the first time you do this you need to be prepared with a Plan B if the Law of Unintended Consequences sets in. You may experience a "lot" of water rushing into your boat from the opened gland/log so be sure your blige pump can handle it. I've used the bicycle tube wrap around the shaft/log to control this inflow and it does work. There are lots of variations on this theme. I've found that it may be difficult to remove/pick out ALL of the old packing material and that is a must. I use a pair of small needle nosed pliers and/or 3" dry wall screws to get all the old material out. Finally, repacking with the right size packing material is crucial. You don't really need to know the diameter of your shaft; what you need to know is the exact clearance between the shaft and the inside of the gland compression nut. Don't let anyone tell you what this size is -- measure this critical distance yourself. After you get the gland repacked and compression nut screwed back on, make sure you can turn the shaft by hand to test for the "right" amount of friction. Tighten up your docklines and run the engine in gear @ about 1200 rpms or so while watching the gland to see how much it leaks and readjust the nut as required. What you really care about is how hot the gland gets after running the engine for a while. The nut should be warmish or cool, but not hot. Check the leak rate, and heat, of the gland every time you use the boat until you are confident all is well there.

Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
A set of dental picks or the like work real well to get the old packing material out. I'd read all these horror stories about what a pain that was, so I came prepared with a set of picks of different types. Made it easy.

Here's another trick--if your boat is out of the water: Pre-cut the (three) pieces of packing material using the prop shaft outside of the boat, where it's real easy to get to.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.