• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Storm Preparations for your Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Many in Florida are preparing now for Landlubber things and their boats.

Many of us have done that before and maybe help others with tips about the boats.

I know that the local marinas may have rules and also FEMA.
______
I was amazed at the Sailboat Owner network during Hurricane Irma.

A SBO member moved here near me in MS, but his boat was on the Hard in Tampa.
He was very worried. I called a SBO friend in Tampa who was prepping his 75' boat there.
My friend found the boat on the hard, took pictures of before and after Irma.
Assured him that the Mariana was first class and prepared his boat for Irma.

Share ideas, worries, etc

SBO is really a team...
Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Great thread James. The SBO community is the best.

Just the simple posting of a picture can help relieve a lot of anxiety or head off a potential disaster for a fellow member.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I had hoped for more input and info here.
Maybe I should start it off.
_____
Hurricane Nate Boat preparations.

NateReady.JPG

This is how we left the boat about 5 hours before Nate hit.
More on what we did and why it was in a Canal, if anyone is interested.

Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm interested Jim.
Hurricane preparation is complicated and can involve factors that are outside our control. I don't mean the storm, I mean other boats, objects and circumstances that are unpredictable.
The North pass of Clearwater Beach is called Hurricane Pass because a hurricane made the pass. Before that, Clearwater Beach was a bigger island. Imagine relying upon that piece of land to help protect your boat, but the hurricane removes it.
Surge can be devastating to the geography of a sandy coast.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
1) Storm Surge or slow rising water that is caused by Winds.

That Before picture shows the already rise in level by about 1 foot, but trees in back ground & water surface show no wind.
The Official prediction was up to 10 feet at the Canal.
Or..
About the bottom of the boom gooseneck.

2) The Bow is facing the oncoming wind and waves [not from Nate , but the fact boat is in a canal or land somewhat protected
[Nate eye to pass near or West of boat] Picture was looking East.

3) Lines that center up the boat in the canal:
a) 3/4" diameter on the Midship cleats [2], but you can see the Port side connection to the Bollard.
Note: Pink flagging tape [ reference level marker]
b) Surprise! The bow and stern cleats don't ;)

Jim...

PS: Note zero line chafe protectors.o_O

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yes Jim, why so confident? You're in the Gulf, why not anchor out away from shore and obstructions, flying trees or cows or other boats less secure? The bottom is shallow enough far enough out that a Bahamian double anchor system would be very secure. Of course, you stay on the boat or worry about how to secure the tender that brought you back to shore.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Status
Not open for further replies.