Storage on a Mac 26D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
^ uh, I think the 89 was a transition year, and has the 'box' for foam over the V berth. not sure if below is empty or not... ...
Thanks, I didn't know that :redface:. If the foam is up there then I would bet there is none under the V-berth. That would make the decission on using that area a lot easier.

There are tons of places to put stuff in the Mac, but be prepared for the boat to sit lower in the water as a result. A positive for us, Ruth in particular, is that the boat seems a lot more stable in rougher water,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Storage....

Proper Storage - I think - can be the real difference between a pleasant trip and one fraught with the angst of "we left it....".

I appreciate the postings people have made...

A MOD is farily permanent - and gets solid attention.. storage is, by nature impermanent. You don't often see how to string nets for internal storage in a MOD writeup... but if you are out for a while, it increasingly matters....

Using plastic bins to store items - and thus be more immune to water comeing in the boat... was a really good idea that we're doing...

Effective use of the Laz - that's another great set of ideas that we'll do...

Figuring out a removable swim platform - and how it can work with Laz storage is another mod/storage idea that we look at... (That is, how to make something dual purpose...).

We have a 26D and are now finishing a trailer renovation... Had GREAT success with the Hammered Metal paint from Rustoleum. Seriously exceeded my expectations...

--jerry

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We use rectangular buckets with hinged lids and even Folgers plastic coffee containers to stow stuff under the seats and galley.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
When you have as many cats as I do, you can make use of the rectangular plastic buckets with lids that cat litter comes in. I think they hold about 4 gallons and they pack close together without a lot of lost space. They are particularly good in the lazarette- anchors & rodes, fenders, etc.- and they make good trash cans for the cabin, too. -Paul

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Figuring out a removable swim platform - and how it can work with Laz storage is another mod/storage idea that we look at... (That is, how to make something dual purpose...).

--jerry
I think Walt has a swim platform on his stb side.

if my ladder ever broke, I'd put something like this: about 12" below the top rail, but use a 4 step ladder. and back the transom with some plywood...

remember you want the 1st step to be well below the water when you get up... (I added a loop of 2" double braid to make another bottom step).

http://www.google.com/products/cata...lOhLTuvAEce1tweR78GaCg&sqi=2&ved=0CIQBEPICMAQ

GL!

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Interestingly, I was looking at a cat litter container that my wife had thrown in the recycling and was trying to figure out how to use it. I hadn't thought of cutting it down to fit small nooks and cranies on the boat.
I also found some collapsible, milk style crates in the shed that fit perfectly in the laz. They're great for organinzing the dock lines & fenders.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Speaking of using the laz space, the D/S boats have the unfortunate "laz-cover-that-can't-stay-open" issue, that is, if you can move the tiller out of the way to get it open when you need it. Has anyone put a lift or latch or catch or hold-open of some kind on their laz lid?
I was seriously thinking about splitting it down the middle (fore/aft) and moving the existing hinges to the starboard side, putting a piano hinge (long continuous hinge) down the split...so it could open away from the tiller/motor and fold as you raise it (vee-up like a tent).

And how do you get yer stuff to pop up out of the laz like a toaster? I have to hang over inside to reach the bottom! ;)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
... Has anyone put a lift or latch or catch or hold-open of some kind on their laz lid? ....
Does your boat have a pushpit-stern rail? We just have a small cord tied to the part of the hasp that folds up in the slot. The short length of cord has a snap hook tied to the end. We have a ring tied up on the stern rail. Lift the hatch and snap the line to the ring and it stays up. Pretty simple.

When I put the fuel tank...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-35.html

in I also put in a flat...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-38.html

...flloor like others have done and that helps,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

May 4, 2005
Speaking of using the laz space, the D/S boats have the unfortunate "laz-cover-that-can't-stay-open" issue,

And how do you get yer stuff to pop up out of the laz like a toaster? I have to hang over inside to reach the bottom! ;)
How about a bungy from stb side of the laz hatch over the backstay to the other side of the hatch?

I think that's what I do... (I use a bungy to the backstay, but forget exactly how I rig it.

I (or 'otto') can steer with the laz hatch open, and put away the fenders.

as far as getting stuff out. I have a board run across the top of the laz, side to side and hang stuff from the board. I also put bins in there and put the same stuff back every time. on top of the storage I set a flotation toss cushion. and maybe dive gear, or other extras.

-develop a system, and follow it.

Last edited:

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Turns out my boat was an '87 model, not the '89 as advertised. I decided to purchase it anyway because of all of the hardware updates the PO had made.
I opened up the area under the V-berth, and sure enough, it's packed full of styrofoam. At least its seaworthiness is still intact.
i've been experimenting with storage and have gotten a lot of ideas from these posts. One area of concern is putting too much in the laz because of trailer sway. I understand that moving the axle back about 12" will help considerably.
So, I've focused on keeping heavy items stashed forward. That means the anchor, ice chest, and most of our personal gear. I will probably move the battery forward too. Light, bulky items are in the laz; PFD's, fenders, dock lines.

May 4, 2005
fwiw, I put 25' of 3" chain (~100#) on the tongue for a year, till I moved the axle back...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Things to think about.

Anchors can save your boat, can you deploy it quick if need be? Think of your anchor as emergency equipment.

One life jacket for each person should be at hand at all times. They make good back rests, seat cussions and pillows.

Fire fighting equipment should be mounted in such a way that you don't have to go through the fire to get to them. Mount them so you can use them to fight your way out of the cabin and off the boat if need be. Just because the regs. require just one it's ok to mount more.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
I plan to keep the large anchor below during transport, then put it in the rocket tube for easy access when it's time to sail. (define "easy" right?)

Also, we plan to keep the PFD's handy, as you mentioned, using them for cushions and pillows and such...and might store them in the laz during sailing...but I was also thinking of putting a small piece of velcro on the back of each one, and a corresponding piece of velcro on the wall down below, so I could "stick them up" along the wall so there would be no searching for them if they were needed.

I'm going to start with nothing and see what changes I need once I start using things...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Before stowing the jackets while sailing you might read this.
http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/components/com_mtree/attachment.php?link_id=7671&cf_id=24

Can you deploy the anchor from the bow if the boat is adrift and bouncing all over and headed towards the rocks? I can chuck the anchor righ from the laz. in the safty of the cockpit and cleat it off to a rear cleat if need be.

I plan to keep the large anchor below during transport, then put it in the rocket tube for easy access when it's time to sail. (define "easy" right?)

Also, we plan to keep the PFD's handy, as you mentioned, using them for cushions and pillows and such...and might store them in the laz during sailing...but I was also thinking of putting a small piece of velcro on the back of each one, and a corresponding piece of velcro on the wall down below, so I could "stick them up" along the wall so there would be no searching for them if they were needed.

I'm going to start with nothing and see what changes I need once I start using things...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....Can you deploy the anchor from the bow if the boat is adrift and bouncing all over and headed towards the rocks? ...
Yep, I can, but one does have to set the boat up so that it works within their capabilities. I haven't had a problem going to the bow in any weather we have been in, but Ruth would have a hard time.

I did have a third anchor tube....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-4.html

... and a danforth on the stern and the bitter end of the rode was tied off all of the time so it could of been deployed in seconds also. I might put it back up. Even with that anchor back there our primary anchors...

...were on the bow.

I do like the fact that now with the bow rollers I can deploy an anchor in a matter of seconds and having the anchor up there in the tubes was almost as fast. I think the boat is generally more stable if anchored from the bow and that would be my first choice, but if someone has a hard time going forward then having an anchor by the cockpit is a good idea. The Endeavour does have a stern anchor mounted and ready to deploy at any time,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
I put a gas strut on the laz door. Holds it open, holds it closed. Fire exting mounted on underside

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
strut...

what kind of strut on the laz? We had thought about it... much simple than growing another hand... :)

I have also been looking at composite fence slats for making a platform in the Laz and as a removable swim deck.. would not be a big swim platform - but it would be sturdy & removable.. (quickly removable).

--jr

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009

My best "hold open" for the aft locker lid. Sail Clevis and S hook. Tried many solutions but this one worked best.
Good idea, I think I'll copy that. I'll still leave the other line and snap hook attached to use when the boat is on the trailer and the backstay is slack. Yours will be qicker to use on the water though.

Thanks and have you guys been out this summer? Haven't heard from you in a while, so hope that means you are sailing,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Hi Sumner,

We spent two weeks in the North Channel in July and we are just finishing up our second week on Lake Champlain. Had to haul out when Irene came through - lots of damage, destroyed boats and flooding. Sitting at the Boathouse in Burlington VT tonight and you would never know a hurricane came through less than a week ago (except for the debris in the water - lots of deadheads).

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.