Steering Wheel Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2009
MacGregor 26X Lake Lanier Georgia
Has anyone rigged up a steering wheel lock that works so that you can stay on course when you have to leave the cockpit?

T

TexasEd

Standard setup

I don't know if you have had a problem with this on your boat or whether you have sailed other boats with a tiller-tamer, etc. I have a 26x and it has a Teleflex NFB (No Feed Back) steering system. It stays put where I aim it. Not all of the steering systems are the same, but this came on my x. If your is a NFB system, then you are OK to go.

If yours turns when you let go, you don't have a NFB system and you will need a way to restrain the wheel Perhaps a bungee would work. You will need to be able to disconnect it quickly. Good sailing!

Jun 4, 2006
Macgregor 26X Gray Hawk, KY
The only way to hold course is with an autopilot. You can hold the engine relative to the boat by tying the steering wheel, but that will not stop the effects of winds and waves. Just as when you are at the helm, if you just sit there and do nothing the boat will go where it wants. Only when you grab the wheel and input steering corrects will she stay the course.

I have a Raymarine ST2001 that does the job well.

Attachments

T

TexasEd

It depends

Retcoastie is right that an autopilot will keep the heading. The problem is they are sort of expensive and don't work very well on the X model unless you disconnect the steering and motor entirely. It really depends on whether you only have a quick dash to get a beer in mind, or an afternoon on a broad reach without touching the wheel. I also have a Raymarine ST2001 from a 26D which worked great with a tiller, but it is not for the X. I have heard that the windvane autotillers are better, and they don't take any juice.

The bungee is the quick and easy solution.

Jan 22, 2009
MacGregor 26X Lake Lanier Georgia
Thanks everyone. I've tried bungee cords but they slip. For $692 maybe an auto helm is the way to go.

May 20, 2007
Macgregor 26X Maryland
My cruising group's forum just had a post on a sale on Raymarine autopilots. The S1 Wheel Pilot is only $692. Here's the link:
http://www.anchorexpress.com/Marine-Autopilots-s/119.htm

That looks like a heck of a deal.
Robspan, that IS a heck of a deal.

The S1 Wheel Pilot has been superseded, and that explains the low price ... but I haven't heard any negatives about it, and it's capable of handling a lot heavier boat than our Macs. At this price, I'm very tempted!

But ... :redface: After spending some $3000 last month for other "boat goodies", I'm going to have to think it over. It isn't really on my "hot list" of things I need, no matter how nice it would be ....

Thanks for the link, though!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2006
Macgregor 26X Gray Hawk, KY
That is a GREAT deal

Of course, my KIDS paid almost $1500 for mine several years ago.:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.