Starting the actual diagrams....

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I'm on the verge of pressing "Checkout Now" on my mother of an Amazon list but before I do I want to get the wiring diagram sorted as best as I can with gauges and measurements (so I can double check voltage drops). Can someone tell me the correct order of events for the following house circuit? Positive wire.

Battery > Buss Bar > Switch Panel > Fuse Block > Circuit (lights/accessories etc)

- or -

Battery > Buss Bar > Fuse Block > Switch Panel > Circuit (lights/accessories etc)

Where should the fuse go. Off the Buss or after the circuit master switch?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Battery > Large Fuse > Buss Bar > Switch Panel > Fuse or Circuit Breaker > Load
You fuse to protect the wire.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Ha! Thanks. You caught me on the big fuse after the battery.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
As you only showed a single line with plural loads, I trust you are adding independent fuses/CB's per load?

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Yes, for each “loop” in the circuits out of the master switches.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
You mention " > Switch Panel > Fuse Block >". Most of the commercial switch panels have a fuse or breaker associated with each switch. I'm assuming you might not be using one of those if going with the Blue Seas fuse block you showed in another post. If using it and making your own panel with switches on it or at various locations I would...

1. Battery
2. Use the double fuse that mounts on the battery post.
3. One fuse sized for the wire running to the outboard.
4. Another fuse sized for the wire running to the fuse block.
5. Don't need to have a positive buss just a wire to the fuse block sized to carry the load of all the circuits and protected with the right size fuse at the battery post.
6. Fuse block with fuses sized for the wires running to the switches that control individual loads.

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/end-1/endeavour-elect/page-3.html

I use two of those fuse blocks on the Endeavour, one has 6 fuses and the other 10 fuses and there is a large on/off switch on the wire from the battery to the fuse blocks so that the loads can be disconnected at once if needed. Also wired the Mac with one of those Blue Seas fuse blocks.

I made my own switch panels as I found the commercial ones two confining and wanted to run the fuse blocks vs. having the fuses with each switch. Just my choice.

One fuse in the fuse block might in some cases go to more than one switch if the loads are light. I might have say a 10 amp fuse and from it go to a terminal strip with jumpers and from the terminal to 3 different toggle switches. If all the wires are #14 and the combined load with all on is less than 10 amps the fuse won't blow and the fuse will more than protect any of the wires. Saying that most of my fuses protect a single wire going to one switch and one load.

Main point is having fuses on any of the circuits sized for the wires following them as has been mentioned by others above and there are a number of ways that you could also use the fuse blocks in conjunction with switches that have fuses with them but that would take a lot more writing than I'm welling to put in at this point. Are you going to make switch panels or buy them and if so ones with or without associated fuses with each switch?

Sumner
===================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
With a common fuse block you would have to be careful on what circuits you ganged per fuse block, as if you had an overload on one of the loads you would take down all loads on that circuit, not so good if you put all your nav lights on (1) circuit.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
It's a consumer marine panel. It looks to me like it has just three fuses. One for the switched loads, one for the 12v "lighter" socket and one for the dual USB socket. I anticipate some rewiring as it comes fully wired up and ready for the load run wires. Everything else is done. The plus for me is it looks to be a good replacement fit for our old factory Mac panel though the boat is still snow covered so I've yet to get in for measurements. Weekend plan (shovel will be required).

I need to get in there - some of the cabin lights I'm ordering may or may not work and I'm on the fence about keeping the panel in place below the stbd seat or moving it out of this "kicking" zone and utilizing that space for stowage. Need to see with my own eyes.

Plus I just want to get in there. I miss it and am really jonesing for the water to open up around here. Quite a ways to go sadly. Well over a month for certain.