standing rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
I will be putting my new 170 in the water in a few weeks. A question to all of you more seasoned daysailors out there. Should I just go with the way the shrouds were tensioned at the marina or should I do some adjustments? How do I know if they are tensioned correctly? I imagine that with time, they will need to be tightened as the wire stretches, again, how do you know? The so called "owners manual" that comes with these things is not all that helpful, just basically a bunch of schematics (sp?).

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Shroudal tension ?

David, Just as schematic ? is in question, shroudal is most probably NOT a word, but to answer your question: I use Johnson calibrated quick release shroud tensioner levers-- see link http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=10902&subdeptNum=11208&storeNum=2&productId=20087 ...or go to www.WestMarine.com and type in model # 246175 -- These levers can be installed in place of the standard clevis-pin and bolt shroud tensioners. I adjust the Johnson levers so that the upper shrouds are very tight (I know, that's pretty scientific, huh?!)--- tight enough that they can almost be "played", like a low, low string bass. Seriously though, I've tweeked these upper tensioners so that the lowers don't even need to be re-tensioned each time I trailer. And when I'm in 15-20mph breezes, heeled over, the leeward shroud is still pretty tight, with only a slight amount of sag. These Johnson levers are great- I wholeheartedly recommend them-- the mechanical advantage they offer allows the shrouds to get much better-tuned than they would be by hand-- and it's faster than those screw-tension jobs. Best, Mike G. Alachua, FL

R

Rusty

Shroud tension adjustments

David, I don't really know how tight the tension came from the dealer as the chain plates allow for a lot of adjustment, but Mike is right, get the uppers tight. It is normal that as you sail tight the leewards will become slack so don't let that bother you. Get the uppers as tight as you can...then go out and buy the levers and throw them darn chain plates into the lake, a deep, deep lake. A lake so deep that no one will ever find them or ever consider using them on a hull again. Melt them down if you can. Destroy them so they... I am sorry. Got a little carried away there! I digress. I hate those things. As for the lowers, they can be fairly loose. If you get them too tight your mast starts taking on a rather peculiar bend... a big "S". Experiment with the lower's tightness and you will see the pronounced bend when they get to tight...back off a hole when it bows. The last adjustment that I would recommend is to ensure that the mast is perpendicular to the hull. To do this tension the mast until you are happy with the adjustment. Now, attach the end of a tape measure to the main halyard and raise it up (I will assume that you know that you need to hold onto the other end of the tape measure, or it will be 25 feet above your head, totally useless!). Now we are going to measure to two common points on the hull. Let's use the port and starboard attachment points for the shrouds. Measure to one side then to the other. If the measurements are the same, you are good. If there is a difference, determine what is going on and correct. This does not have to be done every time, only when you adjust the shrouds the first time. This step may be more anal than anything, but I use to check this on the scow, and I guess it carried over. Good Luck. Rusty

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Rig tunning

Start with mast rake. Set at 1.5% of mast height. Tension the upper shrouds to 15% of breaking strength. Set the lowers at 10%. Go sailing and see how it looks.

Dec 16, 2004
Hunter 170 Panic Stricken
Hunter 170 Tunning Guide

I have been in contact with JY about a tuning guide for the h-170. As it turns out, there is none. So, I talked to the lead tech, and they do not use any gages on the shrouds. They just guess. I know, I know. Not a very good plan. I am working on some figures that seem to be promising. I am not done yet because I need to try them out under various conditions. However, I feel the following is pretty close. Alan is right of a 1.5% mast rake, but generally for a masthead rigs. The Hunter 170 is a fractional rig, so it will be closer to 1%. Also, 15% tension on the upper shrouds are great for a masthead rig, but for the h-170, 20% would be maximum. I am finding that 15% is good for light wind, 18% for all around sailing conditions, and 19% for stronger winds. Remember, within reasson, too tight is safer and easier on your boat than too little tension. Also, the higher the tension, the better you point because of the tighter forestay. And with lower tension, the better your down wind performance in light wind. There is a trade-off. Mast Bend: 1% of mast height from head to boom. Example: h-170 mast = 24’1” (289”) Mast head to boom = 19.75’ (237”) 237” x 1% = 2.37” 1/8” cable breaking strength = 2100 * 1/8 “ @ 2100 lbs. x 15 % = 315 lbs. --------Masthead rig, to prevent to excessive mast bend use only 15 %. * 1/8 “ @ 2100 lbs. x 19 % = 399 lbs. --------Fractional rig w/swept back spreaders, tangs even with forestay. The lower shrouds are much more variable. I am finding that if you have upgraded to a Boom-Kicker and an 8:1 vang, then you can have a very light tension on the lowers. I like about 50 lbs., (measured with vang off). When you put on a lot of vang with an 8:1 and the B&R rig, that adds a lot of tension on the lowers. When I am completely satisfied with my figures, I will forward them onto Hunter. Hopefully, they will add the information as an amendment to the h-170 manual. Danny

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
great information

Wow! Great information. Lots of detail - unfortunately some of it a bit over my head. Being a nonengineering type, gball's comment - "tight enough that they can almost be 'played', like a low, low string bass.", or Rusty's - "Get the uppers as tight as you can..." make a bit more sense to me. I have seen what I guess are shroud tension gauges in catalogues - they seem to range in price. Is this what the percentages above refer to? Are the cheaper gauges sufficient for the purpose of a 170? I have never used them, if I were to purchase a gauge is it fairly clear how to use them? I am lucky in that I will not be trailering much, so will not have to raise and lower the mast very often. Thanks for all the informative responses.

Dec 16, 2004
Hunter 170 Panic Stricken
Tension Gage

You would need a Loos Tension Gage. They come a cheaper version or a pro version. They make a few different sizes. Make sure that you get one that includes 1/8". Tension Gauge For 3/32-5/32" wire - A-91  179358 91A $54.99 USD http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=72022 And, yes, they are dead simple to use. Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.