Spring Splash 2018

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
It's been too long since I had a chance to drag "Kellie Marie" to the lake and do some sailing. Being hammered at work up to 15 days straight, deaths in the family, graduations, births, there's just been a general lack of quality water time for sailing and fishing. I met Joe and "Mr. Quid" at the ramp the day after Easter and we had a good 2018 shake down cruise. Spoiler Alert: The easiest way to fix a leak in your cabin is to not bring the dog.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
The background noise that sounds like an LSA thats following you... what is that noise or am I hearing things?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Beautiful day beautiful lake and it looks like great companions too.:thumbup:

My family and I were sailing from Rockland ME. to Nova Scotia with a guy who was an ex-SAS officer. He brought along his dog, who apparently wasn't use to being on a boat. The little guy needed to take a leak but didn't know where to go and ran around and around the perimeter of the boat looking for a suitable place. Giving small whines, my mother finally understood what he needed. She grabbed me and instructed me to pee on the deck to show the dog where he could go. To a 14 year old, that was a really odd request, but I did it and the dog did get the idea.

Thanks for the video.

-Will (Dragonfly)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Beautiful day beautiful lake and it looks like great companions too.:thumbup:

My family and I were sailing from Rockland ME. to Nova Scotia with a guy who was an ex-SAS officer. He brought along his dog, who apparently wasn't use to being on a boat. The little guy needed to take a leak but didn't know where to go and ran around and around the perimeter of the boat looking for a suitable place. Giving small whines, my mother finally understood what he needed. She grabbed me and instructed me to pee on the deck to show the dog where he could go. To a 14 year old, that was a really odd request, but I did it and the dog did get the idea.

Thanks for the video.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Imagine if she had of said pee overboard!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
The background noise that sounds like an LSA thats following you... what is that noise or am I hearing things?

You're probably hearing the keel cable vibrating as we sail.

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Leeward Rail, I'm assuming Greg M means "Light Sport Aircraft."
Yep I did mean that thanks. Does the wire always make this kind of noise? Is it not rather annoying? Remember I have never actually sailed a centerboard style keelboat before.

This is the L26 one tonne racing keelboat that we sail out of Simons Town. The other photo is from my place of work overlooking False Bay, looking in a NE direction. This is what the bay can look like - glassy smooth and deceptively calm!
We of course have our best sailing weather now - Autumn into Winter!

Enjoy your Spring splash fellow sailors!

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Does the wire always make this kind of noise? Is it not rather annoying?
When the keel cable is tight, it will hum, depending on speed. Slack off the cable and it goes away.
It's a unique audible speed indicator.

The other photo is from my place of work overlooking False Bay, looking in a NE direction.
I've never been sure if a view like that, from an office window, is a good thing. Especially when you need to concentrate on something other than being out on the water. hehe

Alas. Today is to be +2C (-12C low at night) .
By next week, we should finally have both daytime and nighttime temps above freezing. :)

Last edited: