Spreader for 1976 Ericson 35

Nov 22, 2019
Ericson 35 mkII Sequim, WA
During a rigging inspection I found that my starboard lower spreader had been bent prior to my purchase and was drooping a bit. The rigger was able to correct the angle and wrap the stays with wire (which had none under the boot). He felt pretty good for the bandaid but suggested if I cold find a replacement that would be prudent.....

So........ Does anyone have a clue where I might begin my search ?

Thanks...... Tim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Tim... Welcome to the forum. Always great to see another PacificNW Sailor join the forum.

You say the spreader is bent? Or is it the fitting on the mast?

I replaced my spreaders with newly manufactured aluminum spreaders in 2016 during a mast refit. They were made for me by Ballenger Spars Custom aluminum and carbon masts and booms in Watsonville California. I sent the spreaders to them (mine were rotten spruce) and they made new ones. Very pleased with the results.

Nov 22, 2019
Ericson 35 mkII Sequim, WA
Thx for your response John and the link...... Was expecting a long winter before having direction on where to go with the spreader hunt..... If you do not mind may I ask what the cost was for your spreaders.....
Mine is bent about 10 inches from mast connection and was obviously hit by something possibly when the mast was taken down last prior to my purchase... I would post a photo but the rigger has not sent them yet.....

On a different note.... Love the sailing up here on the Strait of Juan De Fuca.... We lived in Bend for 40 years and have been sailing up here for the last 15 years.... Was a long commute until 4 years ago....... Tim