Spinnaker set-up on C22

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Guys - I would appreciate any info, preferably with photos, of your set-up for running a conventional spinnaker on a C-22. Ours is an 'old style' ('81). Specifically, interetsed in how you have set up various blocks and cars midships and aft. If anyone has used a spinnaker sock and/or 'spinnaker tacker' that would be great (I have neither yet but likely ordering both very soon - measuring for the sock this week). Utlimately i would like to be able to run everything aft and be able to hoist/retrieve single-handed or double-handed at most. Cheers !!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
This is really good article on rigging a spinnaker on a C22: How to Rig a Cruising Spinnaker in 4 Stingy Stages – The $tingy Sailor (stingysailor.com)

I would have thought an asymmetrical spinnaker would be easier to fly and does not require a pol vs. a cruising spinnaker, especially if you are doing this singlehanded or want to to avoid leaving the cockpit. You need blocks as far aft on each side of the sailboat as shown in this photo to run your sheets through to your jib winches. In lieu of a sock, a top down furler could be used to deploy with breakable yarn and douse your spinnaker from the cockpit. The diagrams below show how to rig a cruising spinnaker.

1624396967547.png

1624397192632.png
1624397540912.png

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't waste your money on a sock or a tacker. You don't need it on a 22 ft boat. You can launch and retrieve from the cockpit or by the mast and you don't really need to clip the sail's tack to the headstay. Not sure what you mean by a "conventional" spinnaker. It sounds like you need to do more research on the difference between an asymmetrical and a symmetrical spinnaker.... certainly you need to know this before you purchase unneeded gear.
Anyway, the sock and tacker were designed to assist short handed crew on larger boats, say over 30ft, for asymmetrical (cruising) spinnakers. You wouldn't use either with the pole equipped chute.

If you check YouTube for spinnaker videos, you'll see smaller boats do not use the sock. What works really well on small boats, especially racing dinghies and beach cats, is a "launch tube" but you'll want to learn the basics before you try to understand that very cool device.

FYI... rigging you'll need for an asymmetrical spin (cruising) Spin halyard with block at top in front of headstay, an adjustable tack line, two lightweight sheets (2x boat length) two turning blocks attached as far aft as possible, a pair of "twings" or "tweaker" (they're like floating jib leads), a turtle bag.

rigging you'll need for the symmetrical spinnaker: Spin halyard, 1 Spinnaker pole (equal to foredeck length), 2 sheets (1.5 BL) with collars to keep from jamming in pole end, 2 after guys (optional), topping lift, fore guy, mast ring connection for pole, two turning blocks, possibly two small winches, a turtle bag.

So...do your research and determine the type of spinnaker you want, then sift through the many YT vids on how to use it.... Finally, I highly recommend investing in a quality tiller pilot if you're planning to do much single handing.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
This is really good article on rigging a spinnaker on a C22: How to Rig a Cruising Spinnaker in 4 Stingy Stages – The $tingy Sailor (stingysailor.com)

I would have thought an asymmetrical spinnaker would be easier to fly and does not require a pol vs. a cruising spinnaker, especially if you are doing this singlehanded or want to to avoid leaving the cockpit. You need blocks as far aft on each side of the sailboat as shown in this photo to run your sheets through to your jib winches. In lieu of a sock, a top down furler could be used to deploy with breakable yarn and douse your spinnaker from the cockpit. The diagrams below show how to rig a cruising spinnaker.

View attachment 195531
View attachment 195534View attachment 195535
A boat 30 feet or so or under does not need the complexity of four sheets ( two aftguys and two sheets). On these smaller boats it is cheaper and more operationally convenient to use two sheets with a pair of tweakers . With a tweaker set, the sheet becomes the aftguy.

See Spinnaker Systems | Harken Marine