Spinnaker for a 22

Feb 9, 2020
Catalina 22 Louisville Sailing Club
I found a symmetrical spinnaker that is 16 foot with a 24 foot Luft for sale. Will this size sail be appropriate with my Catalina?

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
Should be fine, although a bit fat in the belly.
According to the Bacon Sails website: "The rule of thumb for the spinnaker size is the luffs = I. The foot should be between 1.6 x J and 2 x J."
Based on the sailboat data your J measurement is 8ft and your I measurement is 25.8 ft.
Do you have a spinnaker pole? (Need one for a symmetrical). Sheets also need to be about 2x boat length and some turning blocks on the aft quarters are needed (on mine I have a couple snatch blocks that work fine). Spins are a lot of fun to use, but can be tricky and require an attentive helm and trim.

Feb 9, 2020
Thanks all, I am not to the point of using a spinnaker myself yet, but the crew I am associating with on another boat races one and I am looking to pick up experience. My Catalina is more a cruiser right now but the price on this sail is too good to pass up. I picked up a spinnaker pole when I got the boat but no sail. I think I will pick it up and save it for a fun day.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Rules can vary from one rating authority to another, but this is the most common.
Luff max = 0.95 * (I^2 + J^2).
Max foot = 1.8 *J.
Max width at mid girth is usually 100% of foot.
Minimum mid girth is 75% of foot.

For a Catalina 22, a summetric spinnaker has:
max luff is 25.6 feet,
Max foot is 14.40 feet, and
Mid girth is 14.40 feet.
Max area is 306.67 square feet.

The luff on the sail you are looking at is about 10% too short. That's better than too long, but not optimal.
The foot (and probably midgirth) is too wide by 7%. That will get incur a rating penalty if you use it for racing.
Area is about 310 square feet.

I can't tell you from the numbers whether or not it will have a stable, easy to trim flying shape. It might be okay, or not. Beware of baggy, stretched out spinnakers.

Judy B
Semi retired sailmaker.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020
Rules can vary from one rating authority to another, but this is the most common.
Luff max = 0.95 * (I^2 + J^2).
Max foot = 1.8 *J.
Max width at mid girth is usually 100% of foot.
Minimum mid girth is 75% of foot.

For a Catalina 22,
max luff is 25.6 feet,
Max foot is 14.40 feet, and
Mid girth is 14.40 feet.
Max area is 306.67 square feet.

The luff on the sail you are looking at is about 10% too short. That's better than too long, but definitely not ideal.
The foot and midgirth are too wide by 7%. That will get incur a rating penalty if you use it for racing.
Area is about 310 square feet.

I can't tell you from the numbers whether or not it will have a stabile, easy to trim flying shape. Beware of baggy, stretched out spinnakers.

Judy B
Semi retired sailmaker.
Thanks for the wisdom I will have to do some investigating. I will have a knowledgeable sailor check it out for me.