Specs of the backrest panel on the aft port side

Aug 9, 2020
Catalina 22 Dinner Key Marina
Hi all!

I’m looking to find specs for the backrest panel (where the backrest cushion snaps onto) on the aft port side. I just bought a C-22 and it’s missing that panel. I would like to build it if possible. If anyone has a lead on where to purchase it, I’d be open to that as well.

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!! A photo of where and what you want to install would be helpful to point you in the right direction.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
also what year C22.
Mine is a 86 and I have never been very happy with the dinette's back cushion support panel fit, if that's what you are talking about.
You got me thinking about making a replacement myself.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
My solution was a thin plywood sheet inserted in back of cushion cover itself. Works like a charm.
Dinette cushions redo (15).jpg

Aug 9, 2020
Catalina 22 Dinner Key Marina
also what year C22.
Mine is a 86 and I have never been very happy with the dinette's back cushion support panel fit, if that's what you are talking about.
You got me thinking about making a replacement myself.
Yes. The dinette’s back cushion support panel.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
We have a 30, so this is supposition but I would not think the cushion in the pic goes there. It looks too long as it covers the fire extinguisher and extends beyond the companionway opening. Our boat has a few places where teak ply was used in a situation like that. The divider (I hesitate to call it a bulkhead) between the galley and the port lazarette for example. The picture looks like such a panel could have been screwed from inside the lazarette to close that off.

If you don't want stained wood, sand and paint it Rustoleum Almond and it is almost a perfect match.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Just happen to have mine laying around-- here are a few pics: It's essentially a peice of ply with a cutout and 90 degree leg for support.

Edit: Happy to measure any dimensions needed-- fair warning, this is from a '73-- your dimensions could be slightly different.

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Aug 7, 2020
Catalina 22 like i'm telling you
That’s a great idea! However, I’m trying to get her as mechanically original as possible.
If anyone has more info about what years the panels changed I will happily unscrew mine from an 81 to hopefully give you more accurate dimensions

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
Edit: Happy to measure any dimensions needed-- fair warning, this is from a '73-- your dimensions could be slightly different.
Can I ask you to measure this up? I have a '74 and if I remember correctly I need to replace this along with the table that's delaminating.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
My horrible handwriting:

31.5"
3"
27.5 "
17"
22 3/4"
12.5"

the 90 degree foot is actually made of a solid piece of 3/4" teak it is 7 1/4" wide and beveled on both sides to meet the slope of the boat-- my guess is about 15 degrees on the bottom -- but suffice it to say you should assess yours for a good fit.

The stock is 1/2 Plywood with a teak veneer
The bunting is 1/2" in diameter (roundish)

All of these measurements are to the hard edge of the stock -- (bunting diameter excluded).

Capture.PNG