Source for Cushions and/or covers

Jul 22, 2013
Islander 28 South Shore Yacht Club
Greetings all. I'm a new Islander 28 owner. This is a "refurb" project boat, but she's not a mess, just a bit neglected. One thing that is a mess are the cushions. I suspect they've never been taken out and have suffered though a lot of Wisconsin winters and condensation. I pull them out as I get ready to cover her up for the winter and have stripped the covers from the cushions.

1) At the very least I need to replace the covers - most are torn, or worn through, all are stained and nasty. Anyone have a recommendation on a source for covers for and I28? (or patterns - my mother is an excellent seamstress with high-end commercial equipment, so she could do it if I had patterns and material.

2) Any ideas on cleaning the cushions or should I replace them too - many appear to be "okay" but several have a pretty significant amount of mildew and staining on them.

thanks

I'm sure there will be more questions over the next couple weeks before she's all buttoned up for the winter.

Bob

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Couldn't you just use the old cushions and covers for templates Bob? You should be able to find a foam shop and buy some good stuff.

Jul 22, 2013
Islander 28 South Shore Yacht Club
Couldn't you just use the old cushions and covers for templates Bob? You should be able to find a foam shop and buy some good stuff.
The old cushions are really filthy (stains and some mildew) but I've foud info about cleaning those. I have gotten a line on a local seamstress who might be able to make patterns from the old covers, but they are really tore up, duct taped, etc so many are not even complete.

Hope to get with her this month yet to see what she can tell me.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
I know for mine, it's a matter of what fabric I'll use to replace what's there. My cushions are in good shape, just very dated pattern. My mom has been sewing for what seems like ever, and even without the covers, has assured me that just with the cushions themselves, she should be fine to fit up new covers. I would imagine anyone with a decent background with sewing should be able to do the same, unless the cushions won't hold shape. Just my thinking, I guess.