soot on transome

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Groth

I have a 1993 Catalina 36, my problem is the boat swats at crusing speeds since I got it new and the transome is constantly getting dirty with soot. Is there any reason I can't move the exhaust up so it is out of the water while crusing? This would stop the soot problem. I've noticed that other manufactures have done this. Anybody out there ever done this? P.S. The motor and prop have been checked and everything appears to be OK

G

Gordon Torresen

sooty transom

The soot gathering on your transom is generated by the engine. The location of the exhaust outlet means little. Moving the outlet up the transom may help to relieve back pressure but it won't stop the soot. If the engine is running properly and the propeller is the right one for the boat, you are trying to go faster than that combination says you should. Transom squat is normal and increases with the amount of thrust the engine/prop provide. If you try to push the engine harder than what it is comfortable with, it lets you know by putting out black smoke. Try plotting a RPM vs hull speed graph to see exactly where you should be running with your present set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.