Someone mind checking my work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2008
Irwin Citation 31 -
I've read everything I could find on the internet about replacing stringers. I guess at some point you have to stop reading and start doing. This is the first time I've tackled this type of project, so I started with the smallest stringer first and documented the entire job in a blog with lots of pictures hoping that someone with more experience than me would look it over and tell me if I did it right or did a good job. The blog can be found at this address: http://84irwin31.blogspot.com/2008/03/replace-stringer.html I'm looking for candid advice. If you feel I could have done something better, stronger, quicker, etc., then by all means, let me know before I move on to the other stringers. Thanks

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
What you did from what I can see

looks great, but not haven't seen what you cut out, I can only say that it looks like a stiffener which would transfer the flex load line to the un-stiffened areas at the ends of your stiffener, My understanding of a stringer would have it spanning the entire area from one edge to the other. It may be exactly what you removed or replaced, so it may be just what was required, but I can't say at this time. If you don't get enough comments on this forum, try it again in the ask all sailors forum. That one will get you all kinds of advice. Joe

Mar 28, 2008
Irwin Citation 31 -
RE: What you did..

Thank you very much for looking it over. I've never been one to worry about tackling new projects, but this one has me concerned and second guessing myself. I, quite literally, don't want to see the bottom drop out. However, I'm resisting the common temptation to "improve" the design and make things stronger. I'm trying my best to put everything back exactly the way I found it. I think I understand what you mean by it acting like a stiffener. As the stringers get wider, they do reach further across the boat and span from side to side. And I will be sure to replace them exactly to the same length, height, width and position. I think my main concern was with the thickness of the fiberglass and epoxy. Did I get it thick enough? Is the total 8 layers of 12 oz. and 6 oz. cloth too thin... too thick? I don't know. I guess I could make up test piece of wood and cover it exactly the same way I did the first stringer and then cut it in half to see how thick the glass and epoxy ends up being. That would tell me if it's roughly the same thickness of the tabbing I cut out on the original stringers. Again, Sir, thanks for your time, for looking everything over and your opinion. - Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.