Sold the boat

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Well, I sold it today at lunch.

My 26d will be heading to Honduras, by cargo ship.

Mixed feelings on selling, but just wasn't using it enough to justify keeping her.

I will give the new owner a link to this site, and hopefully he will learn as much as I have from the other owners here.

Jul 27, 2014
MacGregor Venture 224 Trailer Sailor
Wow! I'm so sad for you, but I realize things change. Am reading a great book by Beth Leonard and one of her many words of wisdom to anyone looking to purchase a boat is to be sure to prepare for the day when you'll need to sell it. Honduras...wow. So interesting.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Well shoot. MrBill, we'll miss you here. Please stop by now and then to say hello.

May 4, 2005
No worries, I'm not giving up sailing, (I still own a laser, and crew on some r/c boats)

One of the boats I crew on is a Ex moorings boat. a bene393. and it sails pretty well.

so I was looking at their inventory... and got 10 foot-itis...
http://www.mooringsbrokerage.com/used-boats/boat-details.php?BoatID=4818687

-but sadly I'm about 4 years away from moving into it (too many other distractions)

Also I'm a member of gulfstream sailing club... if you are in miami-ft lauderdale area, come on by! we are only open to public on saturdays 9:30-3 but can't beat the price. 10 bucks for a sunfish, and $20 for 420/JY/Oday's sloops -all day-.

:cheers:

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
Sounds like you made the right decision for you and the boat found a new home. Stick around, though!

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Should have sailed it to Honduras!

This doesn't mean you can't stop in and share your wisdom with us once in a while!

Jul 27, 2014
MacGregor Venture 224 Trailer Sailor
I agree! I could always use more wisdom & learning. We spend quite a bit of time in Florida so next time we are there, we will look up your club. :)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....Also I'm a member of gulfstream sailing club... if you are in miami-ft lauderdale area, come on by! we are only open to public on saturdays 9:30-3 but can't beat the price. 10 bucks for a sunfish, and $20 for 420/JY/Oday's sloops -all day-.

:cheers:
I went out with Bill one afternoon and it was a good one (Thanks again). Take him up on this if you are in the area. We also went some other cool places.

Like the others said please stick around and if you get over by Charlotte Harbor in a month or two look me up and I might even eventually get the Mac over by you,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
OHH NOOOH!!!

Sailing is the sport.. what boat you have doesnt matter.. (or what boat you no longer have..)..

Congratutions on selling the boat and to the new owner..

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Sad to hear you sold it. But I'm glad you haven't given up on sailing.
I know something will present it's self to you when the time is right. It always seems to.
Please do stick around the site.

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for all your contribution to the forum over the years Bill. Drop in from time to time and let us know how you are going.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We'll miss you MrBill !!:+1:

Honduras. Wow, who would have thought it was worth shipping a Mac there. I once shipped a 5 HP Nissan outboard to Canada on Ebay. The buyer was very happy with it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We'll miss you MrBill !!:+1:

Honduras. Wow, who would have thought it was worth shipping a Mac there.
It's less than 1000 miles between the two port towns. Shipping it RORO (Roll On Roll Off) on its trailer would be very economical.

Hang around, Mr Bill!

Oct 21, 2014
Macgregor 26X Panama City
Mr. Bill, my wife and are new to the sailing community. We are in the process of purchasing a 08 Macgregor 26. We will be moving from Panama City to the homestead area. I would love to learn to sail from someone that I can see by the other posts is very respected in this community. Do you offer your services in this way?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Mixed feelings on selling, but just wasn't using it enough to justify keeping her.
My standard question whenever I hear this is WHY? Why weren't you using her enough? Not that I wish to pry into any personal matters, but I feel that we may each be faced with a similar fork in the road ahead. Whenever the boat does not seem to be used enough, I FIND uses for her. A day sail; a sleep over; a race; a short weekend cruise; meet friends aboard for a drink or two; or try out a new venue--relocate the boat to somewhere new and visit and sail from there for new places, etc. Or just go down and "mess around" (you know the quote). It's like a marriage--you have to put energy into it [boat ownership] or it goes stale!! By the way--how long? I'm going on 28 yr of ownership; but, maybe still just a babe!

May 4, 2005
Mr. Bill, my wife and are new to the sailing community. We are in the process of purchasing a 08 Macgregor 26. We will be moving from Panama City to the homestead area. I would love to learn to sail from someone that I can see by the other posts is very respected in this community. Do you offer your services in this way?

will work for BEER! j/k lets add food while we're at it. lol.

give me a pm when you are in homestead. I would recommend that ramp over black point. easy 2 hour sail to elliot key.

a 08 is an X ? or M? how big an engine?

iirc, there were 2 mac's on C or D dock.

May 4, 2005
My standard question whenever I hear this is WHY? Why weren't you using her enough? Not that I wish to pry into any personal matters, but I feel that we may each be faced with a similar fork in the road ahead. Whenever the boat does not seem to be used enough, I FIND uses for her. A day sail; a sleep over; a race; a short weekend cruise; meet friends aboard for a drink or two; or try out a new venue--relocate the boat to somewhere new and visit and sail from there for new places, etc. Or just go down and "mess around" (you know the quote). It's like a marriage--you have to put energy into it [boat ownership] or it goes stale!! By the way--how long? I'm going on 28 yr of ownership; but, maybe still just a babe!

bought a new house, needed a lot of work, still does.

I'd really like something in the 35-40' range.... more practical for me really. abaco time!

Oct 21, 2014
I can definitely pay with beer and food! The boat is an M. It's actually listed on the sailboat owners.com website. It's a 40hp four stroke. There is not much info on the website but I have contacted the seller and made an offer. Just waiting for them to accept, with fingers crossed. We will see.

May 4, 2005
I can definitely pay with beer and food! The boat is an M. It's actually listed on the sailboat owners.com website. It's a 40hp four stroke. There is not much info on the website but I have contacted the seller and made an offer. Just waiting for them to accept, with fingers crossed. We will see.

40hp is marginal for planing. especially in the bay.

70hp is what I would want.

-ymmv.

Oct 21, 2014
Looks like I have lost out on the boat we were looking at., So now I have a question, we are now looking at an X. Very clean boat, I can see the differences in the X and M but what about the differences in sailing? The search for a Macgregor has been long! We are ready to be on the water!