Solar Panel Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I have a 15 watt solar panel I keep hooked up with a charge controller to my battery and was thinking about mounting the panel permanantly to the boat somewhere. I trailer sail and usually stash the panel in the cabin when traveling and when afloat, it's usually in the way somewhere. There just doesn't seem to be any good place to put the panel where it's out of the way or won't slide over board. Any one have any ideas they'd like to share?

Dec 5, 2011
I've been looking at that position too Don. Originally I was thinking of some kind of stanchion/lifeline mount like you have for your small panel to keep it out of the way but, the 15w panel is pretty good sized and rectangular in shape so it really ought to be attached at 2 points. Think this calls for a serious "yard sail" with a cup of coffee to figure out.....

Dec 5, 2011
That cup of coffee and a "yard sail" turned into "couch surfing" instead and I seem to remember reading a forum somewhere a while back where a fellow used electrical conduit hangers to fabricate mounts for a similar panel. Soooooo....after a trip to my local hardware store and going elbow deep into the parts bin around the shop, I came up with this mount across the stern pulpit: I found some bolts that I was able to grind the heads down to a "T" shape to slide in the slot on the bottom of the solar panel, some thumb screws to clamp everything to the stern pulpit, a conduit hanger conveniently hung on an existing rub rail screw and a length of galvanized conduit to support everything. It seems solid enough and since I don't sail on salt water, I'm not too worried about my fittings not being stainless steel. Between the swim ladder, the tiller handle, the adjustable backstay, the solar paned and the outboard motor, that dang stern is getting crowded! But on the bright side, I now have a great shelf to set that drink. :D

Attachments

May 26, 2013
Catalina United States High Cliff State Park
I love it! Gonna do the same. Makes a nice table at anchor too:)

Aug 8, 2013
Catalina 22 Scituate
I ended up mounting a semi flexible 6w on top of the cabin on the port side towards the cockpit bulkhead. It's made by eGanz and so far so good. I mounted it with waterproof Velcro and removed one of the bolts from the handrail on top of the cabin to run the cord through and then sealed around the cord with caulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.