Solar?Located where?Sizes&Styles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R.J.R. Hawaii

Regarding a Solar Panel. The stearn is not all that big on a 22'? What about a flexible panel mounted w/velcro tabs on top of an awning, to be taken down when sailing. Of course then there is stowing it. Or is it better to just lug the battery home for a charge & forget the solar.

R

Rico

Flexible panel

I really like my flexible solar panel. I can't recall the make or style at the moment, but it was the $100 version from West Marine. It fits perfectly within the contours of the sliding hatch door, and rests there doing it's thing while the boat is moored. It's also a great location while underway. There is enough lead in the cable to move it around to keep an optimal angle to the sun. It often finds itself leaning against the cabin windows. I also leave it hooked up while running the batteries to reduce the draw and minimize cycling. I didn't once have to remove batteries during the season since the panel. They were always kept full and never discharged below 50%. A lot depends, of course, on your personal power consumption. I used to lug heavy batteries from hold to canoe to car to workbench and back, and put holes in various fabrics with battery acid, and now, no more. Battery maintenance during the season is a chinch, and my batteries are less abused as a result. Now the winter maintenance is the more problematic. -- Rico

T

Tim Daley

solar panel

In August of this year I purchased a solar panel kit from Catalina Direct (approx. $149) which included the panel,wiring and all connectors for a deck mount and easy hook-up to the battery. The panel itself has two built-in brackets on the back which clamp (with handgrip nuts) to the stern rail just over the battery compartment. From there it was easy to install a deck-mounted connector just below it and wire up the battery. It is only a small (5 watt) panel but I still had bright lights when I hauled the boat in October. As I am not the world's most mechanical guy I was very pleased that the kit contained everything I needed to get the thing working (except a little silicone to seal the deck connector). I'd be interested in hearing from other sailors who have installed this package as to how it does the job for them Tim Daley, TIMBECK II

Status
Not open for further replies.