Soda Bottles for Replacement Floatation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
There is nothing under my v berth. I'm not sure about over it. The area over the galley is full of foam, but I might put my electrical stuff there.
Cockpit combings ?? I wouldn't know.
If they tried they could have used the voids between the hull and the inner liner on the sides. Maybe some closed cell spray in?
That's not fair, your on your boat right now relaxing and I'm at work wishing!
Have a good time,
Jim

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
There is nothing under my v berth. I'm not sure about over it. The area over the galley is full of foam, but I might put my electrical stuff there.
Cockpit combings ?? I wouldn't know.......Jim
On the S it isn't under the v-berth, but ahead of it at the bow and overhead in that part that drops down by your knees if you are laying down. The coamings are full all along the seat backs in the cockpit.

I took a little out when....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/inside-25.html

...I put electronics ( 2 radios and gauges and wiring) above the sink, but was able to put almost all of it back in. What was left I put under the sink, less than 1/2 cf. I've also added some under the v-berth at the very bow end.

Yep we are having a good time out on the water. We like the Keys a lot and the clear water here, reminds us of the clear mountain lake water we are use to. This water is much warmer though and I've gotten to enjoy it a couple times. Water temps around 80. We have been doing a lot of sitting on anchor just enjoying doing nothing. Just shy of 400 miles traveled at this point and this weekend will mark 7 weeks on the water. The weather has been great and no bugs.

We will take out this weekend probably and then get the new boat about a week and a half after that and hope to take it out for 10-12 days before putting it up on stands for the summer.

c ya and have fun with the mods and keep working so that we get our SocSec checks ;),

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
And if THOSE happen to escape?!?

"This just in to our newsroom: officials are confused by the apperance of thousands of ping-pong balls floating iinto the harbor and washing onto the shore early this morning. Boaters and angleras alike were surprised to see what looked like a virtual slick of the little air-filled toys bobbing in the current just out side the breakwater. Sea lions have been mistakenly swallowing the balls, thinking them to be some sort of eggs.
Harbor officials and wildlife experts suspect a container of the balls fell off a Chinese cargo ship in the night".
LOL Mr Mikey:D Fair Winds Full Sails and ping pong balls.

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
Check out this discussion: http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-7/wl55-flotation.html

It tells you everything you need to know on the subject. The only thing it doesn't really address is the discussion as to whether the floatation should be high or low. It doesn't really matter much. The more floatation you have below the water, the more of the boat you will be able to keep above the water. However, there is very little chance of turtling due to having your floatation too low. You would have to place the floatation around the keel to really upset things.

Jul 21, 2009
2 26s Point du chene
Get more space and float better

I have been working on this floatation "problem" for years. I have a 26s and sail in the North Atlantic (ieThe Perfect Storm) plus 4 kids who sometimes take the boat out - so I am very concerned about floating after being swamped. I have just started my mods. Here is where I am going.

First I need more storage; so I have removed the foam above the sink and placed a swing hatch over it. Store extra lifejackets here.

Next I have installed a sound system and cut a hole in the gunwales as they face into the cabin - discovered the factory only half fills the space with foam. I filled them with pool noodles.

This year I am going to secure a big bag of foam into the bow under the berth and remove the foam from the bow V foam locker to make an anchor locker.

I am also going to stuff pool noodles into the long spaces under the rear berth.

I figure that not only am I going to be able to use more space for equipment etc. I am going to make the boat float high enough to bail if it is swamped. The plan is to stay in the boat even in swamping conditions and bail with the two bailers.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
Heinzer: When your boat sank; was the floatation removed?

BTW: many years ago they pumped ping-pong balls into a boat off Redondo Beach CA to refloat it. So it seems to work - if you can coral them so they don't escape the boat.
The foam under the V-berth was all there. The area under the cockpit had only three 1 ft cubes left. The rest had been removed by previous owners. This was before the internet made connecting with other Venture owners so easy. I had no idea at the time that this was not the way it was supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.